creaking chain

crannman
crannman Posts: 99
edited October 2015 in Workshop
my defy 2 had a creaking chain I used dry lube still creaks but when I used chain oil no creaking ? so what is best dry lube or chain oil

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    What dry lube did you use and how often did you apply it to your chain?
  • What dry lube did you use and how often did you apply it to your chain?
    its muc off clean chain and bike when iv been out on it the oil I used was with the chain cleaning bath I got from aldi
  • dj58
    Sorry I'm a bit confused, if I understand you correctly you clean your chain after going for a ride with a Muc Off degreaser using your chain bath, or is the Muc Off clean chain and bike, the dry lube you used before you used the wet lube that came with the Aldi chain cleaning bath?

If you were getting a squeaking chain after you used the dry lube, are you sure that you applied it correctly, letting it dry before going out for a ride? Also if you have been out in the rain the dry lube may have been washed off, you need to apply dry lube more often than wet lubes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been using a wax based lube on the dry weather bike and find I need to reapply it after every ride to keep the drivetrain quiet. Forgot to do it on Sunday and went out again yesterday and it was squealing like a piglet on the homeward stretch.

Think I'm going back to the same old 3-in-1 oil I use to good effect on the winter bike.
  • Sorry I'm a bit confused, if I understand you correctly you clean your chain after going for a ride with a Muc Off degreaser using your chain bath, or is the Muc Off clean chain and bike, the dry lube you used before you used the wet lube that came with the Aldi chain cleaning bath?

If you were getting a squeaking chain after you used the dry lube, are you sure that you applied it correctly, letting it dry before going out for a ride? Also if you have been out in the rain the dry lube may have been washed off, you need to apply dry lube more often than wet lubes.
    I use muc off dry lube after I have washed the bike leave it until nxt ride spray again with muc off dry lube ..........the aldi chain oil was laying around unused but I tried it and no creaking
  • dj58
    O.K. I'm trialling that dry lube on my MTB, though I use the dropper bottle version as I think it is easier to apply a precise amount to the rollers/link pins. The instructions say for first use clean and degrease the chain and allow to dry. Shake bottle well and apply a moderate amount to the inside of the links and allow 3-4hrs before use.

If I were you I would just apply a greater quantity of the dry lube, ensuring it gets into the rollers/link pins, after you have finished your bike cleaning routine.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Use the stuff in the bottle (as above) not a spray - a drop on each roller and don't forget the jockey wheels and mechs. Dry lube lasts a a few rides on my mtb and i can do a couple of hundred dry miles on my road bike without relubing using the same muc off stuff.

To be honest, I've never had a creaking chain. Sometimes I can hear the grit and sand grinding but never a creak.
  • chain de greased cleaned in a chain bath cheap aldi oil used and no creaking