US online shops

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
May be out in the states for the best part of a year with work and was thinking of picking some items up whilst out there such as an S work crankset and maybe some new wheels (maybe just another bike)

But does anyone have some recommended online dealers or know of good shops in Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) or Scottsdale AZ?

Long shot but worth a punt. I tend to find the dealers linked via bike brand websites a bit limited compared to say Wiggle or Rutland etc
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    in arizona there's https://fairwheelbikes.com/ in tucson, not exactly local to scottsdale, but they have some interesting things from less common brands

it's worth asking on weightweenies, many more users are usa based

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Flâneur
    Cheers Sun, I'll go look up my WW account /press the forgotten all details button
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Used Jensonusa once for some clothing awhile ago in the UK. I was impressed. Really cheap end of line descente shorts reduced to a silly price. Ordered Sunday night arrived Wednesday morning. Only thing was the customs charge that obvs won't be an issue in the US.
  • Long shot but worth a punt. I tend to find the dealers linked via bike brand websites a bit limited compared to say Wiggle or Rutland etc

I live in the US and have always just googled whatever I need by name and/or part# to come up with the best prices. There are many good discount sites and I'm not sure what Florida and Arizona's laws are on taxes but generally if you order from another state from where you're order is delivered there is no tax applied. I often order from your UK sites such as Chain Reac., Wiggle, Merlin, ProBikeKit, etc. which tend to have a better selection and better prices than our sites do partially due to the no VAT but even still UK prices are often lower?? You're best option is to order and have the parts sent to someplace here that you can pick them up. Here are some good discount sites I have used which can be hit or miss price wise but their service is reliable. Also don't rule out the US Amazon or EBAY. If I think of any others I'll add to the list.

Colorado Cyclist
    Competitive Cyclist
    Niagra Cycles
    Excel Sports
    Tree Fort Bikes
    Outside Outfitters
    TriVillage (in Miami, Florida)
    Cambria Bike
    Jenson USA
    Performance Bike (Has shops in many states but often hard to find what you want in stock)
    Price Point
    Nashbar (Less high end gear but probably the biggest online dealer in the US)
    Western Bike Works
    Bike Tires Direct
    Bike Parts USA
  • Flâneur
    Cheers for that list and advice.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Just re read your post and originally missed you'll be here for close to a year. You may as well check your UK sellers and note that the goods are shipping here for no VAT pricing. Many will deliver with no shipping charges with a minimum purchase.
  • FWIW I'm in Canada and my experience is that the US sites cannot compare to UK sites for price, particularly Ribble, and also Wiggle, PBK, Evans. Most of these offer free shipping once you hit a certain threshold. Tax/duty is hit or miss; probably 25% of purchases get assessed. Even with tax/duty I'm coming out ahead.
  • ^^This may apply to other brands but i found spesh gear much cheaper in the states.

Funnily enough it was you that tipped me off to it sa0u89. I Pm'd you for some advice when I was building my Tarmac and subsequently bought some s-works cranks and a spider for about a third of what they retail for in this country. If it's spesh gear you're after it may just be worth going through their US site and finding an authorised dealer.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Are there any US sites particularly good for power meters? I'd seen Clever Training with the DC Rainmaker discount but was hoping we could pick up P1 pedals for $100 somewhere. To be delivered to NY state if that makes any difference.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.mvc
    Especially for Chris King
  • www.competitivecyclist.com - good prices, and their customer service is beyond outstanding. They replaced my Zero7 frame at no charge after the chain came off under power and dug pits into the frame (third day I had it - still hard to talk about it :^). They had no reason to do so, I only bought the frame from them, and they helped me out anyway. I'm now a loyal customer.

BTW, backcountry.com is the same outfit.

Cheers
  • www.competitivecyclist.com - good prices, and their customer service is beyond outstanding. They replaced my Zero7 frame at no charge after the chain came off under power and dug pits into the frame (third day I had it - still hard to talk about it :^). They had no reason to do so, I only bought the frame from them, and they helped me out anyway. I'm now a loyal customer.

BTW, backcountry.com is the same outfit.

Cheers