Tyres for the Winter Months

jackk1992
jackk1992 Posts: 141
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
I know it's early to be talking about this with hopefully lots of sunny rides still waiting for us before the cold rain and snow approaches but I need some advice on what to buy!

There are so many options, I gather its down to personal preference and budget but I've had Nobbly Nics on my bike since I bought it last year and I think its time for an upgrade as I've done nothing but complain about them, plus there is nothing left of them!

Heard really good things about Maxxis High Rollers but even with them there are so many options, which mean nothing to me! My bike serves me for everything cross country, trial riding, downhill so would like a good tyre that will serve me well in all, and which I can have confidence in when it gets wet!

(I know I'm asking for it all, but you can dream!)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
2013 Mondraker Foxy XR MS Mountain Bike
Giant TCR-1 Custom Road Bike
2013 Merida Big Nine TFS 500
2015 Merida Ride 4000

"Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"

Comments

• It depends entirely on where you ride and what the ground conditions are like. One of my regular spots gets really muddy but just under the surface it's rocky so even in the most British weather summer tyres work fine. For loamy trails you need a tyre with a spikey tread pattern but spikes are lethal on roots. For dirt with a lot of clay or chalk you want spikes with a very open pattern. For trail centres summer tyres work best on the surfaced trails.
    Personally I use something like a Specialized Purgatory, Bontrager XR4 or High Roller and accept that they are never perfect but they work anywhere.
  • Plus one for the Bontrager xr4 . Use them all year round.
  • Sorry I didnt mention about terrain. I ride all different types, rocky, rooty, muddy, gravelly, wet, icy, dry.
    2013 Mondraker Foxy XR MS Mountain Bike
    Giant TCR-1 Custom Road Bike
    2013 Merida Big Nine TFS 500
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

"Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No Tyre will be optimum on all of those, but something like a Nobby Nic (Evo compound) will be a reasonable compromise.

Nothing will work on ice except a spiked ice tyre but then they don't work that well on anything else...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.