Apples and oranges

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Knowing how oranges aren't favoured here.

Just wondering how the smaller oranges are favoured like the clockwork.

I do like bikescenes offer on the clockwork frame.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Overpriced.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Overpriced.

£249 for what looks adecent frame is overpriced. I am intrigued as to why?
  • Alu as good for 100 out of mass prude croon and a good Chinese decent carbon for that ish
  • Alu as good for 100 out of mass prude croon and a good Chinese decent carbon for that ish

All I got from that is Alu is mass produced and chinese carbon is better.

What other alternatives are available to the clockwork
  • For £250 the 120S doesnt look a bad frame - I had it in my head the Nukeproof Scout frame only was a similar price but cant seem to find anywhere selling just the frame at present. I guess the One One 45650B for 225 would be a decent option with a little more flexibility for fork options and travel.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • At that price it's not bad value. The On One is heavier and made from scaffold tube so has none of the ride quality traditionally associated with steel frames.
    At least with Orange you get a good warranty, unlike the cheap Chinese frames.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Overpriced.

£249 for what looks adecent frame is overpriced. I am intrigued as to why?

Seeing as you posted no link or anything I made it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Clockwork Orange 650b 120 frame £249

Did consider on one, but they are heavier and I won't need such a frame. 120mm travel on a HT will be my limit for suspension, if I need more then I need to be looking at FS, but it seems fine for me.

Just wondering what people thought of them, or is it a lime.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not a bad frame, look like Merida rear dropouts.

You could get a Carrera frame from circa 2005 and get it pro resprayed for a lot less than that (will take 27.5)......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why would anyone want a 2005 Carrera?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

Rookie's fall back default setting.

I think he is suggesting the Orange is a mass produced frame and you could just go for another iteration but of course the Orange actually has some decent geometry vs a 2005 Carrera which doesnt.
  • paul.skibum
    Just noticed that frame has a straight head tube - no tapered forks will fit it. Therefore Lemon not Orange. IMHO.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just noticed that frame has a straight head tube - no tapered forks will fit it. Therefore Lemon not Orange. IMHO.

It's straight but 44mm and designed to take an external bottom cup (same as Nukeproof Mega and others) so a tapered headset can be fitted.
    Even Orange aren't that stupid.
  • You just all read my mind and answered my future question about forks. Was looking at the newest RS Reba tapered, but knew it was a straight tube.

So it will either be a straight Reba if I get one cheap enough or the newest one.

Headsets are a maze for me. Will look in to that once the frame and forks are ordered.

I would have liked one of the Pace frames, but outside my budget.

Does anyone know the weight of the clockwork frame? Can't seem to find it.
  • paul.skibum

It's straight but 44mm and designed to take an external bottom cup (same as Nukeproof Mega and others) so a tapered headset can be fitted.
    Even Orange aren't that stupid.

They aren't - I am. I believe this is evidence of my lack of understanding of headsets these days!
  • The Rookie
    Because it's actually a pretty good frame, same weight and geometry as a similar age Rockhopper, lightish at 1.75Kg, will take 120mm forks and is a 44mm headtube so will take tapered, there is enough room for 27.5 unless you want to use a low mount front mech or to go mad on tyre size (will take 2.25). Relatively low BB for a 26er means it's not too high on a 27.5 either.

So if you want a 120mm HT frame it's a good value (about £35 off fleabay) and decent frame unless you are a blinkered badge snob. Why pay more for an expensive imitation.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A ten year old frame is not going to have great geometry, especially one you fit bigger wheels which means a fork with an a to c length up to 20 mm longer (depending on make and model) than the original fork.
    Plus someone looking for a shiny new frame is hardly going to be happy with a ten year old frame even if it is as good.
  • The Rookie
    The original frame could be bought with a 120 a2c, geo in this category hasn't really changed.

I get the last point, but then I did suggest a full re spray to offset that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A to c on a 650b 120mm fork is longer than with the 26" equivalent
  • The orange is top of my list for now. Designed for 650b and 120mm, will have a good warranty and backup (I hope).

I would consider other frames from fleabay and happily have them resprayed or powder coated I am not that much of a bike snob. But it has to look good too.

My second option is a stumpjumper M5 frame from fleabay. And I would happily take one at a good price. But then you have to factor in, what was the previous owner like, has he crossed any threads and is the frame from a stolen bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Stumpjumper M5 frame is more of am xc race frame than a trail frame like the Orange.
  • The Stumpjumper M5 frame is more of am xc race frame than a trail frame like the Orange.

Too many different style categories now, what would you call trail?

My usual riding is XC (fast flowy and some technical bits) but I want to start getting in to doing some bike parks and uplifts. Thinking the clockwork is going to be the one.

Already pricing things up and I can build a better than Clockwork 120s bike for around £900. Hoping the frame will be the biggest outlay (depending on frame) followed by forks, seeing some good things come up for sale on fleabay.

Spec I have been looking at so far is, Shimano M785 brakes, 1x10 shimano, Reba forks and wheels are between Hope and mavic from fleabay or some superstars. So far all variations cost between £900-£1000. Seems like value to me as all my previous bikes have been standard HTs costing £1000 then upgrading.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Specialized has much sharper steering which also means it's quite twitchy and a bit scary on rougher, fast trails. If you want to cover distance fast it's brilliant but if you want to ride more adventurous trails, the Orange will be better.
  • The Specialized has much sharper steering which also means it's quite twitchy and a bit scary on rougher, fast trails. If you want to cover distance fast it's brilliant but if you want to ride more adventurous trails, the Orange will be better.

Answers my questions so thankyou.

Had the Rockhopper comp previously, will agree (although not the stumpy) it was fast lively and sometimes scary when pushed.

Wanting to do a combo of the two, distance and technical. Still looks like the clockwork will be the better option.

As I am not far from HQ will try to see if I can blag a ride on one :evil:
  • The Rookie
    A to c on a 650b 120mm fork is longer than with the 26" equivalent
    And Fox 26" take 650b tyres no issue. So the same A2C.
  • If it were me I would be going for a Bird Zero TR with a 130mm fork.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Does look good, but it falls outside my budget.

Interested to know why you would choose the Zero TR over the clockwork?