Sub-£2000 race bikes?

oliwade
oliwade Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi I am looking for a road bike for road races and criteriums, I will have about £1500 in Guernsey - this works out to be roughly sub £2000 in the UK. Any recommendations?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Aluminium Canyon? Oh wait, you've already thought of that.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Canyon or Rose
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Caad12 ultegra?
    Take the wheels off and sell them, you might have £500 left for a better set.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    CAAD 10 and a powermeter. If you have the later, just the CAAD 10. It's crits, you don't need bling; race what you can afford to crash etc.
  • I'm in the same position for next year, I'm looking at getting either one of the below:-
    CAAD10 (if any left in my size (52)) - groupset would be Ultegra / SRAM Force.
    CAAD 12, still at new bike price so not 100% sure its value for money, but they look damn good. I like the Dura Ace Yellow version but think thats pushing my budget too far.
    Trek Emonda ALR, Ultegra. This is a decent price now for this model, looking at other forum (espeically in the states) and this seems to be a popular crit bike.

As mentioned above the wheels would come off and replaced by a better lighter model.
    I have thought about the Canyon Ultimate Al SLX 9.0 (2016), for about £1800 it comes ready to race, but I just have a concern about getting the sizing right. I know there is a sizing chart, but I guess I'm over cautious.

Do you have the opportunity to try out the bikes before you make a decision?
  • CAAD 10 and a powermeter. If you have the later, just the CAAD 10. It's crits, you don't need bling; race what you can afford to crash etc.
    ...and if yours is the cheapest bike in the race, it gives you an excuse when you get dropped by the bunch. Or am I the only person who thinks like that?

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the mad idea that I'll try some crits next year. I would look to start with something second hand, in full expectation it will be sliding/bouncing down the road before too long.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    CAAD 10 and a powermeter. If you have the later, just the CAAD 10. It's crits, you don't need bling; race what you can afford to crash etc.
    ...and if yours is the cheapest bike in the race, it gives you an excuse when you get dropped by the bunch. Or am I the only person who thinks like that?

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the mad idea that I'll try some crits next year. I would look to start with something second hand, in full expectation it will be sliding/bouncing down the road before too long.

If you like the underdog status, for sure but I've never blamed the bike racing.
    I did chuckle to myself when on the first corner of a flat cat 4 I was surrounded by the sound of carbon rims.

If you can afford to crash that kind of kit, go for it but it'll make naff all difference to your finishing position.
  • Kenesis athlein is a lowish cost bike I like the look of. Tifosi have the scalare have not tried it yet though so cannot comment on what it like to ride. I race a 1991 steel frame not very successfully so far but that is more my variable performance than the bike however when my legs cooperate I can keep up quite nicely so your race bike does not have to be expensive and modern just competent.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I ended up getting an extremely good deal on a 2015 Cube Agree GTC SL from my local bike shop! Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    I just picked up a great deal on an Allez Comp Race. Comfortably in your budget, and a great crit/race bike. Doesn't need any upgrades at all.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/allez-comp-race/33960/15allez

EDIT

Just seen your last post. Enjoy your Cube :).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    couple of club mates run Caad 8's /10's and uncomplicated setups (10 speed 105 or SRam rival) and they have done fine.
    The Canyon al range is also poular though they are pretty fragile, and i've seen the aethein, and a clubmate has one, and loves his.

the sportier allez range is also pretty good but not cheap.

i'd say get a Caad 10, some zonda's, 105, and generic finishing kit and an cheapo powermeter. Get it insured to cover racing. job done.

you can get a 920gram planet x carbon frame for aroud £300... just shop around.
  • There's been quite a few good deals recently!

Deda Atleta
    Cinelli Strato
    Look 576 Aero

They would all build up to sub-£2k!!
  • I just picked up a great deal on an Allez Comp Race. Comfortably in your budget, and a great crit/race bike. Doesn't need any upgrades at all.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/allez-comp-race/33960/15allez

EDIT

Just seen your last post. Enjoy your Cube :).

I actually had a look at one of these but couldn't quite get one in the right size as they are last years model, very nice bike though!