What is a good amount to spend on handlebars?

SEBZxELITE
SEBZxELITE Posts: 20
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Like the title says, what is a good amount of money to spend on handlebars?

I see a lot of cheap handlebars under $30 and they look good too - should I avoid them?

Or does it not matter :| :?:

Comments

• Guess it depends on the amount you have to spend really. What type of bar are you looking for? xc, am, dh?
  • What bike are they going on. £130 worth of bar might make sense of a 7K bike but be mental on a £300 bike. I got a Crank Brothers Cobalt for £12 in a sale for my full rigid banger and that works great. I put a carbon Nukeproof on my Kona and that works great there.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • SEBZxELITE
    SEBZxELITE Posts: 20
    edited September 2015

Guess it depends on the amount you have to spend really. What type of bar are you looking for? xc, am, dh?

Its a £400 bike, Rockrider 540.

I was looking into getting some wider handlebars - probably XC. The stock ones are only 640mm and I've been riding BMX for a few years now. Every time I ride my friends carrera vengeance i feel really cramped and off balance.

Im gonna ride the bike for a week or so before i make a decision whether i should upgrade or not, but really dont know how much to spend. I dont want it to be a downgrade. Preferably id like to reduce the weight of the bike but not make it fragile. I hear carbon is not for beginners and cracks really easily from even slight drops.

I will most likely get a 700mm or 720mm, but im not sure what material, price and brank

:?: :?: :?:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You heard wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good carbon can be stronger than aluminium. It can also reduce vibration transferred to your hands.
    Carbon bars are strong enough for downhill and easily take multiple big crashes.
    Beginners usually fall off a lot but at fairly low speed.
  • Good carbon can be stronger than aluminium. It can also reduce vibration transferred to your hands.
    Carbon bars are strong enough for downhill and easily take multiple big crashes.
    Beginners usually fall off a lot but at fairly low speed.

How much would "good carbon" cost, could you please suggest a good handlebar thats 720-740mm wide :D

Id rather spend under £40, but I can awlays wait with the upgrades :l
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check out exotic carbon for decent priced bars, or look at the usual suspects for offers, or just buy off eBay either used or direct from China.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Check out exotic carbon for decent priced bars, or look at the usual suspects for offers, or just buy off eBay either used or direct from China.

I have just had a look on Ebay for whats on offer. Carbon bars seem to be very cheap but are they any good? Has anyone suffered a bar snapping?
  • I have a Rockrider 8.0, aqnd the stock bar was 640 on that. I've swapped mine to a 680mm bar and it makes a difference, but the bar itself is nothing special, it was actually the stock bar on a friend's Giant that he gave me. On a bike like yours, spending tons on a bar isn't going to be the best bang for your buck, but swapping it for a wider one will definitely pay dividends. Ebay is probably your best bet.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Answer make some nice aluminium bars and you can often find them at a reasonable price.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I found some Easton Haven carbon bars in the sales last year for £35.
    I have never heard of a carbon bar snapping.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I found some Easton Haven carbon bars in the sales last year for £35.

(1) That's amazingly cheap

(2) I have! There was someone on here a couple of years ago who'd ridden full speed into a gap (in a wall, I think) that wasn't quite wide enough, and it broke his bar. But if a bar is specced for Downhill, it'll take anything I'll ever do with it.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    I've seen broken CF and Al, mostly through 'abuse' (crashing hard), there was a court case due to an AL failing due to a poor machining operation (importer succesfully sued and had to pay up).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193

There was a video on a local Facebook group of a lad doing a 180 in a car park. Only a foot or so off the ground but when he came down the bar snapped. I was wondering how common it is and especially if entrusting your health/teeth to them holding up.
  • The Rookie
    Depends on the bars history as well - they could be badly damaged in a crash and fail some time later.....plus it always amazes me how many components fail when being videod, not suggesting they are all sabotaged to fail always, but I'm sure a lot are!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I got a set of these on my Fatty, very comfy and so far have taken a lot of abuse. £50 is a bargain for a decent carbon bar.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNUCK/on-one-knuckleball-handlebar
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty