Ultegra 6800 chainring bolts

daechambers88
daechambers88 Posts: 20
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Afternoon,
I've managed to shear the head of a chainring bolt on a ultegra 6800 during some sunday maintainance (should have gone riding!!), i've had a look to try and find some replacments online with little success. Can anyone offer any advice on where to find some replacements/ alternatives?

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• Afternoon,
    I've managed to shear the head of a chainring bolt on a ultegra 6800 during some sunday maintainance (should have gone riding!!), i've had a look to try and find some replacments online with little success. Can anyone offer any advice on where to find some replacements/ alternatives?

Thanks
    Dan
    I did exactly the same on my 6800 chainset, they are not very strong are they!I went to my LBS who gave me a Mpart chainring bolt which is exactly the same, I remember finding some originals online but they were a ridiculous price. So if you are not bothered about an original part you can barely see I would suggest either look for an alternative such as M part online or a visit to the LBS
  • Cheers for that - yeah going to have a word with the LBS tomorrow morning and see what they've got (note to self next time do maintenance on Saturday...). Looking at the M part ones they're a couple of mm shorter, assume this hasn't given you any headaches (still plenty of thread).

Cheers for replying btw, when I found the price of the shimano ones I thought exactly the same about the price!
  • Cheers for that - yeah going to have a word with the LBS tomorrow morning and see what they've got (note to self next time do maintenance on Saturday...). Looking at the M part ones they're a couple of mm shorter, assume this hasn't given you any headaches (still plenty of thread).

Cheers for replying btw, when I found the price of the shimano ones I thought exactly the same about the price!

To be honest I never even checked the length of the M part against an original, I just put it in and it tightened up nicely. It uses the same 30 Torx head if I remember correctly.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I paid a tenner at SJS Cycles for a pack of 4. M8 x 10.1mm
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Hi Dan

Did exactly as you have done to my 6800 chainset back in August. These bolts are perfect fit, and actually better than the shimano torx ones as they're an allen head which sort of goes inside the bolt, making it harder to shear - so I replaced them all.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-inner-ring-bolts/rp-prod40570

Dave
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Cheers guys, have got some ordered, will probably do the same and swap all of them out!