Upgrade or buy new components

andreibirsan
andreibirsan Posts: 12
edited October 2015 in MTB general
Hi guys.

I have a scott scale 35 2010 model. The bike and its components are starting to show their age and was thinking to either buy some new components by keeping the frame and replacing fork, chassete, chain, breaks etc. Or the second option to buy a new bike. My budget would be 1000£, so if I would buy some components this is how much I could spend. Obviouslly if i can sell the current bike then I would have some money for a new bike.
What would you guys recomend? New bike or components?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi guys.

I have a scott scale 35 2010 model. The bike and its components are starting to show their age and was thinking to either buy some new components by keeping the frame and replacing fork, chassete, chain, breaks etc. Or the second option to buy a new bike. My budget would be 1000£, so if I would buy some components this is how much I could spend. Obviouslly if i can sell the current bike then I would have some money for a new bike.
    What would you guys recomend? New bike or components?

Thanks

Do you like your old bike - the way it rides, is it lacking anything from your point of view? You could probably get new wheels, tyres, fork and groupset for your budget to revitalize the bike and sell your old kit for a few bob. The Scale is a good light xc oriented bike from memory which if that suits your riding, why change. If you want slacker geometry and bigger hit capability it might be time for a bike change.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^ This.

I'd buy brakes not breaks though! (breaks are cheaper of course!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ^^ This.

I'd buy brakes not breaks though! (breaks are cheaper of course!)

Kit Kat?
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    I vote upgrade

a 5 year old frame isn't a dinosaur so it should do you for a few more years. I had my last bike for 16 years and just kept upgrading it, just recently I decided that the frame just isn't for me any more and that I was due an upgrade.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • UPGRADE!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    to avoid confusion, upgrade means improve parts on current bike. A new bike for 1500 odd quid may not be better than your current.

For me - an XT groupset with brakes and full drivetrain would be an obvious purchase - chuck in a nice set of forks (SIDs or Rebas or similar for the Scale) and perhaps have enough left for a new set of hoops and a tubeless setup....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.