FSA Crank wavy washer

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Due to an embarrassing crank detachment at a roundabout in the city last week, followed by a hasty re-attachment at a mates garage, I've just noticed that the wavy washer is awol.

Is this a problem?

What purpose does it fulfill? Is it just to keep the week bearing cover in place?

Comments

• You need it- as it takes up any sideways (lateral) play in the axle through the bottom bracket. If it is missing then something will wear out prematurely - either the BB or crank axle.
  • Check Windwave for replacements, though you may have to get them ordered through a shop
  • Do you mean you have lost a Sram wave washer rather than something for an FSA crank?

If so what size? I have a couple of spares BB30 and standard axle size I am unlikely to need anymore. If you like pm me your details, for a couple of quid to cover stamp and envelope I can stick one in the post Monday.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Due to an embarrassing crank detachment at a roundabout in the city last week, followed by a hasty re-attachment at a mates garage, I've just noticed that the wavy washer is awol.

Is this a problem?

What purpose does it fulfill? Is it just to keep the week bearing cover in place?

Is this an older generation FSA Gossamer by any chance? If it was, this is a known fault with the non-drive side coming loose even when torques correctly. The inevitable result is the arm falls off and you lose the wavy washer. I seem to remember FSA started selling them with a thread locking solvent to get around the problem. The new generation FSA Gossamer doesn't have the problem. Any LBS should be able to get you the wave washer as a spare, but you must put it on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks All.

Now that you've confirmed it is an important piece of the set up I've managed to source one from Winstanley Bikes.

Thanks for the offer Woolwich.

Andy