Cassette and Chain Compatibility

Stevewils
Stevewils Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi All,

I bought a second hand wheel and cassette to use on my turbo trainer. Unfortunately when I fitted it to the bike the chain didn't seem to be compatible to the cassette. It seemed to be a different pitch size and not grip it correctly.
The bike is a 2008 Specialized Allez Sport, with an SRAM 9 speed 11-28 cassette.
The new (used) wheel and cassette is an SRAM PG1070 10 speed 11-25 cassette.

I thought that all SRAM 9-speed and 10-speed cassettes were compatible?
Could it just be a worn chain? (with equivalent wear on the original cassette).

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Steve.

P.s. be gentle, first post!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    SRAM 9 and 10 speed cassettes are the same overall width but the 10 speed cassette obviously has an extra sprocket so they are closer together. 10 speed chains are therefore slightly narrower than 9 speed.

You really need to stick a 9 speed cassette on your turbo wheel.

The alternative of fitting a 10 speed chain each time you use the turbo doesn't seem sensible, plus you'd have dodgy shifting because you still have 9 speed shifters
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    SRAM 9 and 10 speed cassettes are the same overall width but the 10 speed cassette obviously has an extra sprocket so they are closer together. 10 speed chains are therefore slightly narrower than 9 speed.

You really need to stick a 9 speed cassette on your turbo wheel.

The alternative of fitting a 10 speed chain each time you use the turbo doesn't seem sensible, plus you'd have dodgy shifting because you still have 9 speed shifters

Plus, on top of this a 9 spd cassette shouldn't be more than £15, which is cheaper than a 10 spd chain