Why pay full price?

alexjim
alexjim Posts: 48
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Why would anyone want to buy a bike at full price when it goes out when you can have a massive discount if you wait a few months for the price to go down?
Alex
Alex

Comments

• Not all bikes get discounted. It depends how popular they are and whether there's stock left at the end of the year.
  • A little bit of patience and some good natured haggling can help.

Especially waiting for some spring / summer deals can split the difference. I found a fairly good deal on my Anthem SX at £1700 around April / May time. RRP £2000. There was 15% off any bike in a J.E. James sale but on top of that they Helitaped the frame for me and converted it to tubeless doing the labor for free and discounting the Helitape and sealant kit. Bargain.

The bike is currently on sale for £1600. It might go lower but so far I have only lost out on £100. For me that's easily worth the time I have enjoyed using it.

I think a lot of retailers are savvy to the fact that when you get halfway through the bike season you have to do some kind of deal otherwise people will either wait or go elsewhere.
  • Great post all of you, the reason I asked is because last month I purchase a Mondraker Foxy R 2015 for £1989 this bike was £2799 when it came out that is £810 that is a nice saving
    Alex
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any shop that takes cyclesheme vouchers you should be able to knock off 8-10% cash.....

Good deal on the Foxy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not all bikes get discounted. It depends how popular they are and whether there's stock left at the end of the year.

This is the gamble. The best rated, most popular bikes are likely to be sold out in the main. If you are flexible then you can bag a bargain
  • Not all bikes get discounted. It depends how popular they are and whether there's stock left at the end of the year.

This is the gamble. The best rated, most popular bikes are likely to be sold out in the main. If you are flexible then you can bag a bargain

If its difficult to find the bike for sale you know it won't get Discounted. I bought my Transition in April and really had to shop around to find a shop that had one in stock so I paid full price but with a Hope headset included and fitted for free. There were no other bikes which appealed as much so I was happy to pay.
    If I was buying from a big brand I would never pay anywhere near full price, they always discount heavily at the end of year.
    Your Mondraker was very over priced at its rrp. It's a very good bike but at the rrp a lot of people would expect a better spec.
  • Definitely anything more "boutique" will be unlikely to go for a discount. Half the reason I went for my Bronson over a Sight/Trance was that I got it for 30% off through a Whistler staff deal with SC. Granted I could have got the others for a lot less but a cheap SC is not to be sniffed at.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not all bikes get discounted. It depends how popular they are and whether there's stock left at the end of the year.

If its difficult to find the bike for sale you know it won't get Discounted. I bought my Transition in April and really had to shop around to find a shop that had one in stock so I paid full price but with a Hope headset included and fitted for free. There were no other bikes which appealed as much so I was happy to pay.
    If I was buying from a big brand I would never pay anywhere near full price, they always discount heavily at the end of year.
    Your Mondraker was very over priced at its rrp. It's a very good bike but at the rrp a lot of people would expect a better spec.

This happens increasingly now, bikes are priced at very high prices to catch people out and then the price drops back to where it should have been in a series of fake sales.