how do I maintain my bike properly?

Kecb88
Kecb88 Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I'm new as you can tell, so I'll make my first post about bike maintenance.

I've recently bought a 2015 voodoo bantu and this may be bias but I think it's a beautiful looking bike. I want to keep it looking good. I did buy this bike for some off road biking so it will get dirty and will be rode quite often. I just need some tips on what to use to clean it and maintain the bike mechanisms to.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bantu-mountain-bike is the bike and looking at those parts what should I keep my eye on? I know hydraulics will need maintaining, chain needs lube etc but my main concern is keeping the suspension soft. My other concern is how to keep the nuts and headset rust free, these have no coating over them so not sure what to use.

My last question is, my bike has a matt black and bright green finish so its quite distinct, is there any form of spray or anything that I can use to add an extra layer of protection? I like the finish and want to keep it as nice as possible.

I don't want or think my bike can be invincible but I want to give it as much protection as I can so it will last me longer.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long post!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    hydraulic brakes need almost no maintenance at all, but make sure you don't spray WD40/GT85 or similar anywhere near the bike as if any gets on the disc you'll contaminate the pads and lose braking efficiency.

You can use 'Helicopter tape' (off ebay, ONLY use 3M, the rest tend to yellow with age) to stick on the frame to protect it, or just accept that MTB's are meant to be ridden and pick up honourable battle scars.

Buy a decent chain lube and use as required, many people like squirt as it's a water based wax and creates the least amount of 'muck', wet lubes give good protection but you get an annoying accumulation of drying up lube, dry lube is really rather a waste of time on a UK MTB as it's only good in dry weather!

For the suspension, clean the crud off the exposed stanchions after each ride and apply a little lube (wipe on), I just use fork oil.

As for the drivetrain, keep an eye on it and fix any issues as they appear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Velve
    Velve Posts: 12
    MTB's look much better dirty :)

I've been up and down the Thames towpath 3 times today looking for the wettest and muddiest line I could find to knock the shine off mine.

When you get home, let it dry then use a soft brush to get the worst off (I use the brush from my kitchen dustpan and brush set), run the chain though a rag and relube it ready for the next foray into the unknown :)

Shiney MTB's just look wrong ;)
    Rockhopper Sport 29
    Pearson Touche
  • Wash it at the end of every ride with some Muc-off. Don't use a pressure washer, use a sponge. Use some GT85 to displace water on the chain and cassette. Add some lube to your chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use some GT85 to displace water on the chain and cassette.
    DON'T, some will get on the rear disc and it's then new pads time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.