Enduro- too heavy?

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Currently riding 210 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR comp. Looking at replacing it some time and want to consider all options before I change it. I do love it and could easily get another stumpy.
Enduro bikes are becoming more capable in terms of going uphill as well as downhill.

The Spesh Enduro Comp 2015 is reduced from £2.6k to £2,000 at present and is well regarded.
I am tempted in having a bike which is more than capable of coping with everything I try but the weight issue concerns me because I want to be able to ride all day XC as well as trail centres.

Does anyone know how much this bike weighs and anyone feedback on going uphill/XC riding on it?

Comments

• Why not go for the new Stumpjumper? They have really improved since 2010 and are extremely capable, my mate gets podium finishes in enduro races on a Stumpjumper 29er.
    The enduro is OK but it is more hard work climbing and unless you're on really gnarly trails all that suspension can just take all the fun out of the trails. Personally I wouldn't want any more than 140mm rear suspension on an all rounder bike.
    Modern trail bikes are incredibly capable now, mine only has 125mm rear but I ride 8 foot drops, big gap jumps and black downhill trails on it with no problems.
  • apc1
    Agree obvious choice is the new stumpy and I'm just considering all options because my bikes last me 6 years usually.....

I will probably get the new stumpy now its a proper 650b bike this year.
    The 2015 29er version looks a bargain at reduced price of £1700 (if there are any left) but it just looks so big compared to my 26 version. My mate has one and says its harder to manoeuver.... but reviews says it brilliant

I need to test ride a 29er I think.
  • The Stumpy 29 is better than the 650b which is a bit of a bodge up using the same frame with just a shorter back end. After chasing a Stumpy 29 today I can honestly say there is nothing awkward about the way it handles. It even went of a 10 foot drop with no problems. Get a test ride on one.
    Enduro bikes are starting to move to less travel now, the enduro is OK but its a bit of a lump and it is hard work. The 29er version gets much better reviews than the 650b as well.
    Also consider the Mondraker Foxy, Transition Scout and Santa Cruz 5010
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    The 2016 Stumpy isn't a bodge anymore, it has it's own specific front triangle. I wanted the 2015 29er Stumpy based on the reviews.

I was having a hard time finding one, so I just waited for the new ones and decided to go with the revised 650b.
  • Agree obvious choice is the new stumpy and I'm just considering all options because my bikes last me 6 years usually.....

I will probably get the new stumpy now its a proper 650b bike this year.
    The 2015 29er version looks a bargain at reduced price of £1700 (if there are any left) but it just looks so big compared to my 26 version. My mate has one and says its harder to manoeuver.... but reviews says it brilliant

I need to test ride a 29er I think.

I've got a full suss 29er and don't find it noticeably any harder to maneuver than my 26er. Any bike can be hard to maneuver if it's either the wrong size or the cockpit aint set up right for you. I can jump it, slide it and throw it around no problem but getting the bar and stem lengths right makes big difference on the way the bike handles!
  • apc1
    Thanks for the replies.

The latest 650b stumpy isn't the Frankenstein's monster from last year and will probably be my first choice although will try the 29er too.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I was in exactly the same boat. Managed to get last years Trance 29er (which is now discontinued in favour of 650b only) for a big discount. The weight difference between the Trance and more XC orientated Anthem is next to nothing.