Minimum tire size for 584x19 rims

alexul
alexul Posts: 69
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I've just bought a 27.5 MTB and it came with 2.1 tires. I would like to go for something thinner but I don't know how low can I go. The rims are Alex Rims EN24 584x19.
Thank you

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Theoretically, you don't want to run a tyre so narrow that the rim is exposed, so no narrower than the external width of the rim, so 25-26mm? Realistically, you wouldn't want to go narrower than this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-kojak-slick-mtb-tyre/rp-prod24794
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What riding are the tyres for, 2.1 aren't that fat for off road use, but presumably you are looking at on road?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • on road during the week and some offroad during the weekend. But by offroad I mean dry, hardpack, mostly flat country roads. I didn't think of going as low as 1.35. I was looking at the range 1.5-1.75 and wondered if it works
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, they would be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.