University Cycling Club Moanings

codfather
codfather Posts: 359
edited September 2015 in The Crudcatcher
I'm the current president of the cycling club of the undisclosed South Eastern university at which I'm currently studying. Worrying, someone actually gave me a small amount of power over several dozen people. Anyway, since there is currently no Mrs. Cod, I'm left to vent my frustration on the internet. I don't expect anyone to reply to this, just need a place to release.

Recently I've been trying to get everything in order for the start of the year and suddenly everyone with whom I'm obliged to work seems to have forgotten that they are employed to do something:

Our kit supplier has still not released the price list or created the online kit shop,

Still haven't heard back from the company we applied for sponsorship from,

Sports Coordinator now refuses to respond to emails.

In one week's time we have to host the annual Fresher's Fayre stall which invariably means talking to dozens of people who want to buy whatever bikes we have on display, millions of boring roadies who want to talk about riding in straight lines on smooth, flat surfaces and discussing the ins and outs of the club with people I will never see again. On the up side roadie girls are often attractive and I'm always looking for a future ex-Mrs. Cod.

Now it's the weekend so I have to wait until Monday to hear back from anyone. In the meantime I have to pack all my various rubbish back up and head daaaarn saaaarf. This will involve stopping at some grimy service station for a cup of incredibly hot watered down garden mud and floor sweepings sandwich.
At least the last four days of riding around the countryside performing pointless tasks for thankless individuals are over. Road biking is uncomfortable, why anyone does it for fun is beyond me and I'm starting to feel the 100km.

Rant terminated.
Current fleet
2015 Transition Scout
2012 Nukeproof Scalp
2016 Genesis Latitude
2012 Transition Double
2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
2017 Fly Proton
???? Create Polo Bike

Comments

• I feel your stress and your rant. Today has been a similar day with the ex Mrs Clockwork and her friend who seems to want to act on her behalf.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Rant concluded.

Stay single. Get a cat. Trust me it is easier.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the problem?

Freshers fair is easy.

Barrel of Beer and a few cakes and a note book to take down names. Oh and a sign telling people when and which pub you meet in and when.

Worry about the rest later.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So what is the problem?

Freshers fair is easy.

Barrel of Beer and a few cakes and a note book to take down names. Oh and a sign telling people when and which pub you meet in and when.

Worry about the rest later.

Agreed and try and chuck some discount vouchers in if it isn't too late. Or all have a post ride pub of choice and try and see if you can strike a deal up with the manager for a discount.

Ahhhhh the days.
  • Just re read something.

Kit supplier? Have the fashion students design a kit and let them do the sourcing. I am sure if you sold the idea right, they would be tempted.

Use the students, sports coordinator get someone doing a sports degree involved.

It is all glowing references and experience for them.

Just my thoughts. If I was doing it I would try to utilize the students rather than external people.
  • Fresher's Fayre doesn't bother me in the slightest, I organised everything months ago and I get to spend the day wandering around helping myself to free samples. All the events for the year are more or less laid out.
    My issue is people who do not do their jobs properly.

I'm not good at being single, nor attached, I'm best suited to the awkward mess in between

Kit supplier is laid out for us before the year begins, we just have to confirm what we want and which design. Which makes it all the more irritating that they're managing to fall behind, especially with the extortionate prices they charge. (£20 for a t-shirt, £36 for a jersey)
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Fresher's Fayre doesn't bother me in the slightest, I organised everything months ago and I get to spend the day wandering around helping myself to free samples. All the events for the year are more or less laid out.

I'm not good at being single, nor attached, I'm best suited to the awkward mess in between

Kit supplier is laid out for us before the year begins, we just have to confirm what we want and which design. Which makes it all the more irritating that they're managing to fall behind, especially with the extortionate prices they charge. (£20 for a t-shirt, £36 for a jersey)

We are men and we are programmed to always being like that. Taken, hmm, maybe the grass is greener, single, ahh I miss someone. Messed up genetics.

If I read the post correct, you are also studying at the uni and running this club. So why would you have to use a kit supplier? Why wouldn't heads of departments allow you to have it all done within the uni? Would look good for you and would look good for people who participate. Or am I missing a point?
  • The uni encourages us to be independent and individual......but not too much.....and only in the ways they deem acceptable.

Every sports team at the uni has to order their kit through the same provider whether they like it or not; we're tied to it by a contract signed on behalf of all the sports clubs by the powers that be last year.

When all is said an done, they're substantially better than last year's supplier. That kit didn't turn up until May, when the year was all but over.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Fresher's Fayre doesn't bother me in the slightest, I organised everything months ago and I get to spend the day wandering around helping myself to free samples. All the events for the year are more or less laid out.

We are men and we are programmed to always being like that. Taken, hmm, maybe the grass is greener, single, ahh I miss someone. Messed up genetics.

If I read the post correct, you are also studying at the uni and running this club. So why would you have to use a kit supplier? Why wouldn't heads of departments allow you to have it all done within the uni? Would look good for you and would look good for people who participate. Or am I missing a point?

I think it very unlikely that an academic department is going to use its resources to help a student sports club. A Uni may have t shirt printing facilities (although most will outsource), but someone still has to organise this and pay the real cost plus profit margin that the service department needs to survive. It won't be the university.
  • The uni encourages us to be independent and individual......but not too much.....and only in the ways they deem acceptable.

Every sports team at the uni has to order their kit through the same provider whether they like it or not; we're tied to it by a contract signed on behalf of all the sports clubs by the powers that be last year.

When all is said an done, they're substantially better than last year's supplier. That kit didn't turn up until May, when the year was all but over.

That sucks donkeys di** in my opinion. How can students be independent whilst the uni dictate what they can and cannot do. It is almost like saying you can have free rule over the bike club but only 10%.

How are you meant to excuse the pun, but free think. Fashion students could come up with a practical design.

I don't like that philosophy. If it is a uni bike club it should be run by the students without the nanny governing state.

When I was learning electronics I asked what I thought was the most dumb question ever, but the lecturer said it was the most important as it shows I understood it.

How can you be expected to progress if you are always being limited.

I think it very unlikely that an academic department is going to use its resources to help a student sports club. A Uni may have t shirt printing facilities (although most will outsource), but someone still has to organise this and pay the real cost plus profit margin that the service department needs to survive. It won't be the university.

I agree with you and I understand the University will not pay. But if it would help students get real world experience then in my opinion that should be treated as a positive.

I am not saying ditch the curriculum for a sports team, instead encourage it as a separate project. Experience, references etc. Plus one of these people may come up with a ground breaking idea.

You are at university to learn, and to be held back or restricted just sounds wrong.
  • Mad_Malx
    The uni encourages us to be independent and individual......but not too much.....and only in the ways they deem acceptable.

I suspect 'the powers that be' are the SU rather than the uni. If the su are providing resource to the club (funding, rooms, photocopiers) then they can call the shots. If you don't like it (and you say there are some advantages) no-one is stopping you joining or setting up a club outside the uni. I doubt the latter will be less work.
    Not meaning to have a pop - just trying to put the other side. Universities are in the business of teaching & research. They're supportive of student recreation to make the place attractive to recruits, but at neutral cost in staff time and other resource. It the SU -and therefore the students-who are responsible for the social & recreation.

I did sports at uni that I couldn't afford now. Like you did a lot of work for the club in my later years which I viewed as payback for the free coaching I had in my first year. I found it rewarding because of the camaraderie with other members. When it gets to the stage that no-one else helps and your efforts aren't appreciated it's time to move on.
  • Just to be clear here; I have no problem with the suppliers other than their inability to answer electronic communication. We're obliged to use them and I'm perfectly happy with that.Their designs are clean, their kit is solid, their range is good and the web based ordering system will be much appreciated over the standard bulk order style.

My only qualm is them setting a date for road prices to be released and MTB kit to be available and then not being able to follow through. That was the long and short of it.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike

I suspect 'the powers that be' are the SU rather than the uni. If the su are providing resource to the club (funding, rooms, photocopiers) then they can call the shots. If you don't like it (and you say there are some advantages) no-one is stopping you joining or setting up a club outside the uni. I doubt the latter will be less work.
    Not meaning to have a pop - just trying to put the other side. Universities are in the business of teaching & research. They're supportive of student recreation to make the place attractive to recruits, but at neutral cost in staff time and other resource. It the SU -and therefore the students-who are responsible for the social & recreation.

I did sports at uni that I couldn't afford now. Like you did a lot of work for the club in my later years which I viewed as payback for the free coaching I had in my first year. I found it rewarding because of the camaraderie with other members. When it gets to the stage that no-one else helps and your efforts aren't appreciated it's time to move on.

I see your point now. I am looking at it from a student view and I think it is unfair if students are held back. I have been in a situation like that before.

On the other-hand if universities didn't restrict time to students, then what is to say that said student doesn't come up with a world changing idea. It would take a good teacher to recognise the potential and keep probing for more. I just think it is slightly biased to run it like a business. Even if that is the truth now.

Question for you codfather, how do you know students within your university could not produce a better product?
  • Sorry I am not arguing against any of yourselves. I do understand rules are set in place by SU, the Uni and the faculty's.

But how can you release the potential of students if you are restricting them.
  • Oh I have no doubt that students COULD produce a product of better quality, but consistency would be a different issue, especially when you oblige a group of people to produce something in which they have no interest i.e. they want to design something of their own, but instead they have to make 2 dozen road jerseys.
    Second problem is time. The company we're using should have the complete order for the entire club finished within the first few weeks of the term, whereas if one were to have them produced by students, they would only be able to begin once the term had began, thus putting us massively behind schedule. The company is now set up to pump out whatever we order in no time at all and ship them almost immediately after. First race is in late October, I doubt a group of students could achieve a decent turnaround in the four weeks necessary.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Oh I have no doubt that students COULD produce a product of better quality, but consistency would be a different issue, especially when you oblige a group of people to produce something in which they have no interest i.e. they want to design something of their own, but instead they have to make 2 dozen road jerseys.
    Second problem is time. The company we're using should have the complete order for the entire club finished within the first few weeks of the term, whereas if one were to have them produced by students, they would only be able to begin once the term had began, thus putting us massively behind schedule. The company is now set up to pump out whatever we order in no time at all and ship them almost immediately after. First race is in late October, I doubt a group of students could achieve a decent turnaround in the four weeks necessary.

Depends on how motivated the students were. And I think that is how I will leave my post for now. If they were motivated enough to the point where they get glowing references and feedback. Then why would they not embrace the challenge? And push through. Students are very creative. I believe it is unfair to restrict them, but this is my thought. You can be surprised at what students can achieve too, all it takes is some motivation.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    That sucks, would be much better if you had more freedom to do things your own way. I, along with a mate, founded the cycling club at our uni. At our first freshers fayre we were chucked in some grotty little room with the christian union and some mental health charity because we were so unorganised. Still, we signed up 80 people that day because we promised that we didn't charge subs and were handing out free beer, cider and the odd jelly shot we'd stolen from the other clubs.

From a university with only 350 new students per year that wasn't too bad. Ended up being enough to get the SU to recognise us as a legit club, even though there were maybe only a dozen or so active members. They decided to give us money, I can't quite remember what we got that first year, but it was a ridiculous amount, we thought Christmas had come early.

I suddenly had an abundance of tyres and tubes, a couple of club jerseys, a club hoodie. A handful of people didn't have anything to ride with them down at uni so we bought some bikes too. Started chatting to a local shop and got some sponsorship which we actually used properly to benefit the club too. Worked out nicely for me as the bloke offered me a healthy personal discount too because I generated business for him- as soon as people at uni found we'd got a cycling club they'd be asking for help or advice and I'd just send them down to the shop in town (he was a decent bloke though, not out to rip off anyone).

The next year the SU was onto us and demanded we charge people subs to join because we'd taken the piss the previous year. So we did, £5 seemed reasonable enough and plenty of people who didn't actually ride bikes were willing to pay it just so they could stay on our outrageous mailing list. The SU decided as we'd been good and made some money for ourselves that they'd give us money again. A couple of weeks later we compiled some Wiggle and CRC shopping baskets of various things people wanted and went to town. Whatever was left helped subsidise the club's social events.

Currently as far as I'm aware a handful of club members go out and ride bikes occasionally, but (quite rightly so) the vast majority of members only turn up to social events and tours so they can get pissed and have a laugh.

Probably doesn't help your situation, just nice to reminisce.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    You refer to yourself as a president and you consider yourself to have power over dozens of people.

no one is responding to your emails

sounds weird.
  • I refer to myself as such because that's the position I hold. A rather grand title, but all sports clubs have a president, treasurer, secretary etc. The power thing was a joke, I basically just organise events and races.

Those who are not responding are external to the club and have previously been swift at replying.

It's really not that big a deal.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't join anything, wear team kit, or give a stuff.

I am my own personal god.

Had a lovely day getting muddy in the SH as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Update; today I accidentally made and published a website

Last bits of my new bike arrived so I'm happy. Moving back tomorrow so I'll finally get to build it. Missing the hardtail but big bike will remedy this .
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I refer to myself as such because that's the position I hold. A rather grand title, but all sports clubs have a president, treasurer, secretary etc. The power thing was a joke, I basically just organise events and races.

Those who are not responding are external to the club and have previously been swift at replying.

It's really not that big a deal.

As president you should get yourself a presidential sash and a big fancy hat so that everybody knows you're president.
  • Mad_Malx
    Update; today I accidentally made and published a website

Linky? Or are you one of the several chip shops with your name?
  • Update; today I accidentally made and published a website

Linky? Or are you one of the several chip shops with your name?

https://kentcycling.wordpress.com/

It's very basic but I didn't expect to actually get a website for free so I wasn't taking it too seriously.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needs some boobs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    How about posting pictures on here of all the young ladies that would like to join your biking club! We could then help you select the ones you really need. A 'tinder' style cv from each would help the selection process!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er

• No, one boob maximum. Final offer.

Today I have to attend a bunch of meetings that are duplicates of ones I sat through in June. At least I can catch up on the sleep I missed last night re-watching Game of Thrones.
    Then a committee meeting to decide what to do about the things we've been ignoring all summer.
    Finally sorting out things for the new house, such as working out why I have no money and buying food.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598

No, one boob maximum. Final offer.

Today I have to attend a bunch of meetings that are duplicates of ones I sat through in June. At least I can catch up on the sleep I missed last night re-watching Game of Thrones.
    Then a committee meeting to decide what to do about the things we've been ignoring all summer.
    Finally sorting out things for the new house, such as working out why I have no money and buying food.

Get working on those photos you promised of the fit girls! And no stegs, ok?
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er