Golf

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited October 2015 in The cake stop
Ignoring the good walk ruined comments. I enjoy the social aspect and compared to cycling the consumables are considerably less.

However should a golf glove be replaced after X rounds?

Should I be using plastic t's instead of wood to keep my running costs down?
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    No idea... I'm just getting (back) into golf and doncha just love golf shops? So full of Stuff. It probably would improve my game to buy an enormo-driver made out of all sorts of exotic materials.. just make sure it doesn't get wet.
  • Mrs Tank took up golf about four years back and she struggled to get all sorts of kit, for one reason or another.
    I pointed out to her golf was the last bastion of the male.

"Don't you realise" I told her "Golf is an acronym,for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden, women should be at home cookin' the dinner"

BTW, that is why golf is so named.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    "Don't you realise" I told her "Golf is an acronym,for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden, women should be at home cookin' the dinner"

No it's not.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=golf+etymology
    late Middle English (originally Scots): perhaps related to Dutch kolf ‘club, bat’, used as a term in several Dutch games; golf, however, is recorded before these games.
  • Flâneur
    I like the fact I get 4 hours of no phone calls about the dog, dinner or why my bikes are taking up space.

Last Bastion may be sexist and wrong, but I'll keep it for my own 4 hours of quiet
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • "Don't you realise" I told her "Golf is an acronym,for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden, women should be at home cookin' the dinner"

No it's not.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=golf+etymology
    late Middle English (originally Scots): perhaps related to Dutch kolf ‘club, bat’, used as a term in several Dutch games; golf, however, is recorded before these games.
    Thanks for that. I believed that was why the game was so called and thought I was being informative. I stand corrected, I sharn't pedal that untruth again.
    Got to admit it is a good acronym though. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ignoring the good walk ruined comments. I enjoy the social aspect and compared to cycling the consumables are considerably less.

wooden tees are better marginally and cheap in bulk. often just can reuse others on tee area that have been left.

gloves, when its past its best its fairly obvious, feel wise and visually
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The consumables may be considerably less, but you can go out and ride a bike anytime without paying anything. I used to play golf (off a decidedly average 16) and by far the biggest ongoing cost was green fees.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The consumables may be considerably less, but you can go out and ride a bike anytime without paying anything. I used to play golf (off a decidedly average 16) and by far the biggest ongoing cost was green fees.

I've tried golf a couple of times and I think I'd be acceptably mediocre at it if I persisted, but I don't think I'd like other golfers / club rules / the ongoing costs.

I like the fact that cycling starts at the end of the drive and costs bugger all once you have the bike / kit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    once you have the bike / kit.

Has anyone ever reached this stage?
  • Flâneur
    once you have the bike / kit.

Has anyone ever reached this stage?

Doesn't exist. Between new tyres, tape, cassettes then the lights for darker and darker nights and jackets for colder n colder times (oh and because the new one is better and shiny).

Cycling is not a buy once and forget sport
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ignoring the good walk ruined comments. I enjoy the social aspect and compared to cycling the consumables are considerably less.

Wooden tees for sure. Easier to put in ground when frosty/frozen.
    Best gloves are obviously leather, feel better and give better feel. To extend life, remove after each shot especially in summer, as sweat from palms will eventually harden the leather. Also you should not use a glove when putting. Again all to do with feel.
    Best balls are Titleist (most pros use em) especially the Pro V1s. Expensive but again its all to do with feel.
    If you ever get to a good standard then forged irons with stiff shafts are the way to go.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I like golf. Actually, to be more accurate, I like golf in Kenya when the nanny is taking care of the kids, rounds cost about 30€ a go on some INCREDIBLE courses, and Ive got 4 hours to waste. No waiting, apart from the odd Enormous Kenyan politician whos got a swing like a tremor sufferer on ecstasy. Then I come back to Mallorca, its 120e a go, courses are full, no caddies to spot the ball (never said I was GOOD at it, did I!), and the courses are dry and divoted. Aside from the fact its f**cking hard, I think golf is an anachronism simply because which responsible family guy/businessman has 4 hours to waste a couple of times a week these days? I can get on my bike, ride hard for an hour, and have a real workout. Hence Golf sucks.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Played a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 8 years. Even when I played a couple of times a week I was useless and after a warm up on a simulator I discovered that after such a long break I was no worse. The difference when I hadn't ridden a bike for that length of time, by contrast, was enormous!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    To answer the OPs question, I use synthetic leather gloves.I play twice a week ,I wear it all the time and they last a year. If you wear them out sooner there is something wrong with your grip ( to the non golfers that is how you hold the club not part of the club). Plastic tee for your driver and bits of wood tees that you find for anything else. You can find enough balls when you are looking for your mates in the rough. Yours will be on the fairway of course. The "golf running costs" are peanuts compared to club subs or green fees. Why are you so concerned by them?

If you are working ,have a family and read this forum you do not have time for golf so forget all about it . Save what spare time you have for your bike.

I am well past retirement age and love both cycling and golf in equal measures. However my legs are my limiting factor and now limit me to bike twice and golf twice a week. I also do the odd tri so I have to keep doing a bit of running and swimming as well. Oh and my wife likes walking so I have to show willing there. I don't know how I used to find time for work!
  • Ignoring the good walk ruined comments. I enjoy the social aspect and compared to cycling the consumables are considerably less.

Wooden tees for sure. Easier to put in ground when frosty/frozen.
    Best gloves are obviously leather, feel better and give better feel. To extend life, remove after each shot especially in summer, as sweat from palms will eventually harden the leather. Also you should not use a glove when putting. Again all to do with feel.
    Best balls are Titleist (most pros use em) especially the Pro V1s. Expensive but again its all to do with feel.
    If you ever get to a good standard then forged irons with stiff shafts are the way to go.

shouldnt be playing when frosty, course should be closed!

removin glove when putting or chipping is very much personal choice, some have no issue with it impacting touch. pro v1's are wasted on anyone with a double digit handicap so dont waste money on them if that doesnt apply to you, personally prefer top end bridgestones and srixons if im not paying. forged irons again only for the single figure player, imo, and even then forged cavity backs or muscle backs make most sense.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    This thread explains a lot about you sauseano666 :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    To extend life, remove after each shot especially in summer, as sweat from palms will eventually harden the leather. Also you should not use a glove when putting. Again all to do with feel.
    Anything less than a half-swing pitch shot and I get rid of the glove. Also remove it after each shot and you're not left with one weirdly untanned hand during the summer.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    To extend life, remove after each shot especially in summer, as sweat from palms will eventually harden the leather. Also you should not use a glove when putting. Again all to do with feel.
    Anything less than a half-swing pitch shot and I get rid of the glove. Also remove it after each shot and you're not left with one weirdly untanned hand during the summer.

The first few days of a holiday and its obvious what I do with my time. Pale left hand and 3/4 tanned arms and legs!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited June 2022

Great result for Matt Fitzpatrick to win his first Major at the US Open. He's only 27, so hopefully he can add some more.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Yeah, that was great viewing last night. The long putt he holed and the bunker shot at the last were amazing shots.

Suspect Zalatoris will win a few in time - seems to have the game for the majors.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Were the 'rebel' players allowed to take part?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Pross said:

Good point Pross.

LIV Golf Series players were eligible to play in the golf major tournament in Brookline, Mass., meaning Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and others were on the course at The Country Club.

The LIV Golfers didn't fare too well, though. While the PGA Tour defectors aren't too far removed from playing on the PGA Tour and related events, for some it looked like it was their first time on a course. Maybe it was nerves, maybe it was pressure, or maybe it was just a difficult course to play.
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/liv-golf-players-us-open-phil-mickelson-dustin-johnson-other-pga-tour/u9lpicded14shmy3vkvqfcdw
    So they were, I'm glad they didn't do so well.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

Pross said:

Good point Pross.

LIV Golf Series players were eligible to play in the golf major tournament in Brookline, Mass., meaning Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and others were on the course at The Country Club.

The LIV Golfers didn't fare too well, though. While the PGA Tour defectors aren't too far removed from playing on the PGA Tour and related events, for some it looked like it was their first time on a course. Maybe it was nerves, maybe it was pressure, or maybe it was just a difficult course to play.
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/liv-golf-players-us-open-phil-mickelson-dustin-johnson-other-pga-tour/u9lpicded14shmy3vkvqfcdw
    So they were, I'm glad they didn't do so well.
    PGA don't organise the US Open (or Masters). As the rebels ranking points decline the problem will largely resolve itself (apart from exemptions)