Dump BB Question

quarkrad
quarkrad Posts: 51
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Apologies - need to confirm dump question. I'm looking at building an Ultegra 6870 di2 based bike and know that the ultegra bb is size bb-r60. I'm getting a little confused re the frame bb. Frames seem to have bb30, bsa, bsa-68mm english in the main. I would prefer not to have to fit adapters but unsure what best fits the ultegra r60. (I know the bb30 does not without adapter and this (bb30) seems very common). Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Apologies - need to confirm dump question. I'm looking at building an Ultegra 6870 di2 based bike and know that the ultegra bb is size bb-r60. I'm getting a little confused re the frame bb. Frames seem to have bb30, bsa, bsa-68mm english in the main. I would prefer not to have to fit adapters but unsure what best fits the ultegra r60. (I know the bb30 does not without adapter and this (bb30) seems very common). Any advice appreciated.

If the frame is described as having a BSA or BSA 68mm threaded bottom bracket then your Ultegra BB-R60 will fit fine. In fact any Shimano Hollowtech II BB would be OK. The only slight caveat is that some frames may come with "Italian" threaded BB's rather than "English" threaded. With the Italian, the threads are conventionally right handed on both the drive and non-drive sides. With English threaded BB's the drive side has a left hand thread while the non-drive side is conventionally threaded.

Italian threaded BB's are relatively rare but it is worth making doubly sure when you source your frame. The Ultegra BB-R60 can be bought in both English and Italian versions.

All other types of BB (BB30, PF30, BB86 etc) are push fit rather than threaded and you will need adaptors to run your Ultegra chainset
  • Many thanks - this explains it.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    BBR60 is the model number, not the size.