Cycle tour operators - France/Italy/Spain

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited February 2016 in Tour & expedition
A bit of a vague general question, but can anyone recommend a good tour operator probably for a week next year of of European hilly/scenic riding by a group of competent club standard riders? I've been on similar in France for three years and had three great holidays. One organised by Cyclomundo: Geneva to the Alpe, with the Marmotte afterwards; and two organised by an independent guide, Annecy to the South coast. All have been excellent but I'm just wanting to broaden my horizons. I'm not especially taken by the Pyrenees, as I keep hearing stories of slightly less predictable weather there (I know that mountain weather is always difficult to predict!). Last year, I and a friend went to Bormio to ride the Granfondo Stelvio which was superb. Ideally, next year would be a week of A to B cycling, end up with one of the classic sportives, e.g. Maratona or Quebrantahuesos. Nearly as good would be a week in a single point, similarly ending up with a classic sportive.
Any advice?

Comments

• How about taking in all the best bits of Majorca, finishing with the Mallorca 312 (or 167) race in April?
  • How about taking in all the best bits of Majorca, finishing with the Mallorca 312 (or 167) race in April?
    Thanks Bernie, that would certainly hit my "doing something new" button, but I think it would come a bit too soon in the year for me, both in terms of getting to proper fitness for it, and also in terms of having something to look forward to! That Mallorca 312 looks epic though!
  • How about getting yourself out to Tenerife?

Some cracking ascents/descents and 95% of the road surface is buttery smooth

Just back from 5 days riding with over 30,000ft climb and the scenery (away from the tourist hotspots) is breathtaking

We did it ourselves and got a great house via airbnb and cheap flights via one of the low cost carriers

Highly recommended and weather you can depend on
  • Just done the Grande Alps Route with KE Adventures - superb route and KE were excellent
  • Just back from an excellent week in the Dolomites and Prosecco hills, using www.tourdigrants.com

Climbs included Monte Grappa, San Boldo, Selle Ronda, Passo Giau and plenty others. Was great value, fully guided with good accommodation and food/wine in the price. Blown away by the scenery and scale of some of the climbs, would recommend.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    We offer a growing range of tours around Europe with some interesting options for you, have plenty of Bikeradar users as guests and I'm well known to plenty of other users from various meet ups and rides.

http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Ending a tour with a sportive is certainly a great idea, but as it looks like you have already done my two first suggestions in the Marmotte and Maratona, have you considered a tour that culminates in watching the TdF/Vuelta/Giro?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Thanks for all these great replies - I've got lots to think about now!
  • Hi,
    I just saw your post about bike tours companies.
    I run HC Bike Tours company. We do tours anywhere in Europe. We have regular tours for public, but we focus exactly on custom tours for private groups.
    Let me know your plans for Y2016 and I will send you our proposal.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon,
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    Hi there
    We run training camps and tours in Las Alpujarras, southern Spain, the southern slopes of the Sierra Nevada. We can organise bespoke point to point tours or you can stay at our base and ride out from there every day. Next June we have several sportives locally, Juan Martinez Oliver on the 5th, La Indomable on the 11th and El Limite and La Subida Pico Veleta on the 25/26th in Granada.
    It's a stunning mountainous area, another option for you!

Sarah
    Vamos Cycling
  • You might be interested in the central Pyrenees where you can enjoy some stunning climbs in both France and Spain. PEAK TIMES have been providing cycling holidays based out of Bagneres de Luchon for over 10 years and pride ourselves with a personal hands on approach where our local knowledge really can help you make the most of your cycling experience.

One of our signature packages is our "Le Tour Special" where in 2016 clients will be able to ride and enjoy 3 stages of this years Tour de France, 2 stages in France and 1 stage departure in Spain.

In addition we provide a number of organised, bespoke and independent options for individuals, groups or teams throughout the spring, summer and autumn.

http://www.peak-times.com/pyrenees-cycling-holidays
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees