Which new rear derailleur?

lonegringo
lonegringo Posts: 26
edited September 2015 in The workshop
Hi,
I'm thinking to replace my 16-year old Shimano Deore rear derailleur on my touring bike (surly LHT 27v). It's probably seen the best part of 100k kilometers in that time what with all the commuting, weekend rides and holidays I've had on it. Anyway, its time to say goodbye.

I now have the choice of another Deore (SGS M-592 9v) or the SLX (M-662 9v) at the same price (about 35 quid where I am) or the Alvio at less than half of that. I am commuting 16km everyday with loaded rear panniers over cyclepaths and terrible tarmac (São Paulo) so it can get pretty bumpy.

I've heard things about the "clutch" in the shadow models that will help prevent chain slap.

To be fair, if the rear derailleur lasts another 16 years, the cost is really negligible, I just need help deciding between the two...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• get the SLX if it's compatible with your number of gears on the cassette (10 speed has a new pull ratio, 7/8/9 speed all fine together).

And yes, the clutch will help with chain slap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clutch is on shadow+ not shadow and is 10 speed only, neither of those is clutched.

Latest Alivio 9 speed is pretty much last years Deore and great value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Many thanks all
  • I went for the Alivio in the end, ended up chainging the whole drivetrain and gear ratios to boot.

Thanks again