Fiddling with embryos

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited September 2015 in The cake stop
For the good of mankind in relation to stemming certain medical conditions/illnesses.

Four canals, wait 'til the Frankenstein labs get hold of it and blood doping will be like....READY, SET...look over there......whooooosh! :lol:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• I thought this was going to be about Operation Yewtree when I read the thread title. :shock:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Penecillin spelt doom for the earth.
    Man is built to last 35 year, we are more than double that in only 150 year of evolution, something has got to give.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech

Posting on an internet thread and having words mistyped on autocorrect = funny/odd/frustrating
    Posting on an internet thread adding no content other than trying to take the pi55 = priceless :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • Man is built to last 35 year, we are more than double that in only 150 year of evolution, something has got to give.

A bit of wee nearly came out.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    . . .Man is built to last 35 year, we are more than double that in only 150 year of evolution . . .

That's a common misunderstanding of "life expectancy at birth" and the effect on the average of high infant mortality. Have a wander around your local churchyard and see how long people were living.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • VTech
    . . .Man is built to last 35 year, we are more than double that in only 150 year of evolution . . .

That's a common misunderstanding of "life expectancy at birth" and the effect on the average of high infant mortality. Have a wander around your local churchyard and see how long people were living.

I live in a history village so I have seen graves of people with in their 80's dating back 300-400 years ago so of course I am aware that this isn't the case with everyone but the fact was, without modern drugs, the average was around 35 and it sat at that for thousands of years.
    An absess on a tooth killed millions, now we go to the dentist, get some tablets and after a few days of pain we are good to go, back in the day septicaemia killed.
    Deep lacerations led to the same result in many cases and again, we can fix the majority now.

I do think that stem cell research will lead to better way of life for the living but as a whole, we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level ?
    Living MY dream.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level ?
    So I take it you're in favour of going back to dying at 30 from tooth abscesses? Even by the exalted standards of current enviro-piffle your posts are quite spectacularly egregious.
  • VTech
    we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level ?
    So I take it you're in favour of going back to dying at 30 from tooth abscesses? Even by the exalted standards of current enviro-piffle your posts are quite spectacularly egregious.

No, I've never said that but people like you make me laugh, all I did was post factual content, you then went off on one to try and have a pop at me which is laughable. Enjoyable to some (me inc) but laughable.

We are not designed to live for 80-90 years, thats a fact.
    We are over populating the earth due to modern medicine, thats a fact.

Why do you find my post shocking, or any of my posts for that matter ?
    I speak the truth, if you don't like that I suggest you don't read them.
    Living MY dream.
  • bompington
    we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level
    all I did was post factual content
    Good old Vtech. Same as ever.
  • VTech
    we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level
    all I did was post factual content
    Good old Vtech. Same as ever.

You post a smarmy comment without content, on that level you seem a bit of a fool.
    Many of the worlds leading scientists look at over population as the real danger to the earth, after all, without that we wouldn't have the stresses on food/heating etc which cause the increases of climate control.

I am a delegate for a global warming conference next month in Milton Keynes, I would honestly love your input if you have anything to add, seriously I am open to all avenues to prove all them thousands of scientists wrong if your holding the mystical fountain of knowledge.
    Living MY dream.
  • bompington
    better to be without content and thought a fool than post too much content and remove all possible doubt, I always say
  • VTech
    better to be without content and thought a fool than post too much content and remove all possible doubt, I always say

Super, love it.
    You know, I've met your kind many times, always thinking they are the clever yet always lacking the most important things yet excelling in other areas like being a complete and utter knob.
    We all know the kind, the guy down the pub with qualifications coming out of his backside but claiming benefits whilst blaming the UK issues on immigrants whilst not realising that we need people here to do the jobs that "us" british folk seem to think beneath us.

Like the people I grew up with who were anti black, anti asian or anti anything they didn't like whilst offering no logic as to why they feel that way.
    Similar to those that post on forums as a sort of power trip, trying to poke fun of people they don't know because of the drug-like power effect it gives them whilst not realising the person they are trying to mock is crying inside out of pity for their lack of true understanding.

If I have got you wrong I apologise but I honestly think I've got you to a T. I think you actually feel some form of self gratification in mocking another person but you don't possess the knowledge to argue your point.

I had an employee once who I had every hope of doing wonderful things, the person clearly had skills, was very good at many aspects of the job but all too often the person would argue that he/she didn't "think" whatever we were doing was worth it yet never explaining why or giving an alternative test to trial.
    that person threw away what would have been a £250k/year position that someone else who wasn't actually as skilled came and snapped up.

I am certain that this person blames everyone else for their now being unemployed (last I heard) whilst never accepting that sometimes, life isn't what you expect and that in the majority, things don't work out but life is worth it when it does.

Anyway, no hard feelings, hope it works out well for you.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

:D

And never the Twain shall meet
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bompington
    ...the person they are trying to mock is crying inside out of pity for their lack of true understanding.
    I'm deeply touched
  • Giraffoto
    I live in a history village
    What's one of them then?
    so I have seen graves of people with in their 80's dating back 300-400 years ago
    Ah, I see. A village, then, with a church.
    so of course I am aware that this isn't the case with everyone but the fact was, without modern drugs, the average was around 35 and it sat at that for thousands of years.
    Average lifespans are a bit of a red herring. Back in the good old days, infant mortality was huge and a significant chunk of the population didn't make it to their fifth birthday. You must have noticed them in the churchyard. Now if we take ten people and say
    - Two died at six months (probably an overestimate, but I'm generalizing here)
    - One died at five
    - One died in childbirth at twenty two
    - One died of something that's preventable now at thirty five
    - One drank himself to death at forty two
    - Four lived to seventy
    You get an average longevity of thirty five years. That's called the life expectancy at birth. If you make it to thirty five, though, you have a life expectancy at that age of another twenty five years, that's the life expectancy at thirty five, which applied equally to the drunk, the guy who was already on his death bed, and the four healthy ones.
    An absess on a tooth killed millions, now we go to the dentist, get some tablets and after a few days of pain we are good to go, back in the day septicaemia killed.
    Deep lacerations led to the same result in many cases and again, we can fix the majority now.
    I can't bring myself to think of this as a bad thing. History has shown us that as the standards of living improve and the general level of education improves in a population, the birth rate declines. Now, that leads us to the question of who will look after all of us old-timers, but that's a different question. I prefer to reduce the birth rate than cull the ones who are already alive. To take a real example, I prefer the idea of eliminating malaria, yaws and river blindness and then educating a healthy population to letting the diseases do their stuff.
    I do think that stem cell research will lead to better way of life for the living but as a whole, we are destroying the earth, I'm not sure that we can deny modern medicine is to blame on that level ?
    Not modern medicine so much as our incessant demand for energy, consumer goods and our love of polluting transport for ourselves and our consumer goods. Given time, modern medicine will bring the birth rate down, but even a dwindling number of people who validate themselves by their possession of expensive and polluting trinkets will be bad news for the Earth.
    I am a delegate for a global warming conference next month in Milton Keynes, I would honestly love your input if you have anything to add, seriously I am open to all avenues
    I'd bring up our incessant demand for energy, consumer goods and our love of polluting transport for ourselves and our consumer goods. I might also add the clear culpability of those who encourage and facilitate the lust for pointless consumer goods.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • VTech
    Great points but are you saying modern medicine doesn't play a part in this stats ?
    Modern medicine is the major reason birth survival rates are so high and also why people live longer. That really is a fact.
    http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/How-Many-Babies-Are-Born-Each-Day

350,000 babies a day born of which the use of modern medicine gives huge advances in life after birth and then when growing also protects.
    The reason I mentioned abscesses earlier was that so many died from this yet now don't. That's the same with so many illnesses.
    I am NOT saying that medicine is bad nor am I saying that we shouldn't use technology to assist but it is directly a reason for overpopulation and what the vast majority of scientists now believe to be the 6th mass extinction.
    Living MY dream.
  • Giraffoto
    Great points but are you saying modern medicine doesn't play a part in this stats ?
    No, but it's not the most important one. The major point in increasing population is time. We're increasing our numbers exponentially, which is why the increase has got faster recently - that's what exponential means. Now, why are we able to do this?
    VTech wrote:
    Modern medicine is the major reason birth survival rates are so high and also why people live longer. That really is a fact.
    http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/How-Many-Babies-Are-Born-Each-Day
    Far be it from me to doubt the credentials of a website that pops up a sign saying, "Sign up now for more amazing facts!", but they've missed the major one - advances in food production. Human beings are made out of food. If there's no food, they can't increase in number. Population growth entered the exponential phase when advances in agriculture made it possible. I don't advocate a return to periodic famine - I still prefer education as a tool of population control. And what the site says is
    What affects global birth rates?

The following are some of the factors that determines a particular region’s birth rate:
      Government policies dictating the number of children a family can have
      Availability of family planning services
      View on abortion and contraceptives
      Mortality rate of infants
      Socio-economic capability
      Illiteracy
      Poverty. In some areas, having more children means more manual labor.
      Opportunities for women
      Cultural differences
    So even the big book of amazing facts doesn't ascribe it all to modern medicine - that's fourth on the list.
    VTech wrote:
    350,000 babies a day born of which the use of modern medicine gives huge advances in life after birth and then when growing also protects.
    It's education, government policies, culture and availability of food that's allowing them to be conceived in the first place.
    VTech wrote:
    The reason I mentioned abscesses earlier was that so many died from this yet now don't. That's the same with so many illnesses.
    I am NOT saying that medicine is bad nor am I saying that we shouldn't use technology to assist
    I hear a BUT coming . . .
    VTech wrote:
    but it is directly a reason for overpopulation and what the vast majority of scientists now believe to be the 6th mass extinction.
    It's only one contributory factor, and by no means the main one. See above. The problem isn't just billions of people - it's billions of people who demand that coal is burned to power their lives, who want to own shiny trinkets and drive around in big shiny cars. People could live sustainably - and if you'd counter with, "but they won't", bear in mind that any alternative involving giving up on medical science isn't going to be greeted with open arms, either. Education and political will is what is necessary.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bompington
    Some advice, Giraffoto...
    1407712355009-Pig10.jpg