Another great idea from kickstarter

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited September 2015 in MTB general
http://singletrackworld.com/2015/09/klein-reimagines-the-pedalshoe-interface/

None of the advantages of clips combined with none of the advantages of flats to solve a problem which never existed.
Ideal for anyone who wants zero float and likes being forced to have their foot position decided by the pedal with no opertunity to adjust to the comfortable position.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hate agreeing with you, but I agree.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    That definitely looks like combining the worst of both worlds, then making it worse still.
  • The pedals look like a mudtrap
  • Find it quite interesting that everyone is wanting to reinvent the pedal.For the bike Saints and only saints. For the other bike pegs. I don't feel a need to strap my feet to either. And the later has one and only one option. So why so many choices for a 2 leg man power bike?
  • Looks like a knee breaker. For that reason, I am out.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Here is a problem no one has, and we'll solve it with a solution that doesn't actually solve any problem.

Nuts 'and for that reason, I'm out!'
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ugly, weird, and what happens when you get the treads of the shoe full of stones and mud? You spend the first 15 minutes of your run cleaning your shoes so the pedals fit?
  • I particularly like that if the foot position isn't quite right you can only move sideways in one inch steps or back or forwards two inches.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Dead in the water.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Ugly, weird, and what happens when you get the treads of the shoe full of stones and mud? You spend the first 15 minutes of your run cleaning your shoes so the pedals fit?

I was going to say that !!

I stick to my flat sole trainers for now.

C.
  • WALOB!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    Just spotted this BS claim
    "Each shoe sole will have the center of the pedal directly aligned with the balls of the riders foot for optimal pedal positioning."

I bet it won't, after all they provide SPD shoes with a range of positions for a good reason! My feet are a strange shape, very wide right at the base of the toes, for that reason I have to wear shoes that are 'too long' to get the widest part in the right place, the result is that the ball of my foot is further back in the shoe than normal and my SPD cleats are located as far back as possible on my cycling shoes to match that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Pedal-Prototype-640x428.jpg
    Simplicity appears to be the Honeycomb’s greatest asset- the concept is readily understood and there are no moving parts beyond the pedal spindle. The lack of aggressive traction pins should reduce the severity of any pedal-shin impact.

SPDs aren't that hard to figure out either, and it's still not as simple as a flat pedal with pins. I also doubt you could apply force over any more of the pedals' rotation than with flats, so it doesn't bring that particular advantages of SPD. Finally, unless it's made of foam rubber it's not going to significantly "reduce the severity of any pedal-shin impact" - it's still an angular piece of hard stuff and will hurt if it hits your shin.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • veronese68
    Just spotted this BS claim
    "Each shoe sole will have the center of the pedal directly aligned with the balls of the riders foot for optimal pedal positioning."

I bet it won't, after all they provide SPD shoes with a range of positions for a good reason! My feet are a strange shape, very wide right at the base of the toes, for that reason I have to wear shoes that are 'too long' to get the widest part in the right place, the result is that the ball of my foot is further back in the shoe than normal and my SPD cleats are located as far back as possible on my cycling shoes to match that.
    It'll be fine, as long as they are precisely 2" further back.
  • The Rookie
    It's about an inch.....of course!
  • veronese68
    It's about an inch.....of course!
    Which is reasonable, probably about the limit of what could be considered reasonable as proven by being at the limit of your SPD's. To be 2" out you'd have to be wearing clown shoes.
  • The Rookie
    To be 2" out you'd have to be wearing clown shoes.
    Not far off!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks like a knee breaker. For that reason, I am out.
    Exactly that. They state that the pedal doesn't need float, because apparently that's worse for your knees, and that it's set to an 'optimum position'. What they fail to take into account is the fact that everyone is different, and therefore the 'optimum position' is different for every person.

What a godawful idea.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Find it quite interesting that everyone is wanting to reinvent the pedal.For the bike Saints and only saints. For the other bike pegs. I don't feel a need to strap my feet to either. And the later has one and only one option. So why so many choices for a 2 leg man power bike?
    Because Saints aren't that great, and everyone has their own preference.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Now this looks like a pretty good idea. Flat pedals with float. One reason I don't like flats is that its difficult to twist your feet a few degrees for cornering. Those super grippy shoes and normal decent flats keep your feet solidly pinned in one position.
    http://wideopenmag.co.uk/2015/09/funn-hover-pedal-a-flat-pedal-with-float
  • That looks good. It's one of those "Damn, now why didn't I think of that?" ideas.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • ilovedirt
    Now this looks like a pretty good idea. Flat pedals with float. One reason I don't like flats is that its difficult to twist your feet a few degrees for cornering. Those super grippy shoes and normal decent flats keep your feet solidly pinned in one position.
    http://wideopenmag.co.uk/2015/09/funn-hover-pedal-a-flat-pedal-with-float
    Interesting. I have to say whilst I rode flats, I'd never felt like I needed 'float', but I'd like to give them a try. I'd never buy a set though, clipped in is just better.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Yeah, quite like the idea of floating flats. Whether it actually works in reality remains to be seen... I am looking for new pedals to replace the gripless wellgo v8's that came with my bike though.. :)