ToB stage 4, quick view required

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited September 2015 in Pro race
Hi

I've taken day off tomorrow to go see ToB stage 4. I'm considering 2 options.

1. Go down to the start point at Holyrood park, soak up the atmosphere, see the riders, browse / buy merchandise, see them off then try and hare down the A1 in car to see them go thru Duns.

2. Set off early, stick bike on roof, drive to east lothian then cycle up to vantage point on KoM at Redstone Rigg. Once field have gone through, have a nice wee cycle round east lothian before heading home.

Thoughts please?

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Me too. I just came here to post a similar question. I'm in Edinburgh and flexible through the day.

I can't find an accurate route for the start part - I think they do a loop through the Old Town but can't find the details. Thought somewhere there might be more interesting than the Holyrood part - but not if they just go east.

What time is the schedule start?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Think i read 10am somewhere, there is an estimated time pdf on the tob website somewhere

Redstone Rigg should be quite good, overall the climb isnt that hard but there is a steep bit near the top which should make for good viewing, plus i think you'll be able to see the riders approach in the distance if you are standing there
  • Me too. I just came here to post a similar question. I'm in Edinburgh and flexible through the day.

I can't find an accurate route for the start part - I think they do a loop through the Old Town but can't find the details. Thought somewhere there might be more interesting than the Holyrood part - but not if they just go east.

What time is the schedule start?

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage4/ has as much info as I can find
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Thanks, I couldn't find all that info yesterday - the Race Manual has a lot of info in it that I couldn't find anywhere else.

10am start, basically right outside Holyrood palace - heading into the old town but then it doesn't show where they go after that. Loop around onto Milton Road somewhere.

After dropping off the kids I should manage to be there about 9am so that will work.

Thanks all.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Think the basics to reach Redstane Rigg (The'Rigg' as it is known to local riders) is Musselburgh, Prestonpans (coast road), then South up to East Saltoun going through Boggs Holdings (a small hamlet) then Gifford (rolling roads up to here) then from Gifford to us mere mortals the road does not give much respite.
    There's a nasty down up section where plenty of riders find they've carried too much speed down the hill for the bend as it starts to climb up again so hopefully everyone will negotiate this without incident.
    For about a 2kms or so the road is draggy, culminating in The Rigg itself and this really is a leg-bender so it will be nice to see how the pros manage it today. Fast descent with some didgy bits - cattle grids and potholes etc