Fitting 2 Thule 591 carriers 'correctly' and forward facing

barrysayer
barrysayer Posts: 18
edited September 2015 in MTB general
Hi, just spent a tidy amount of money on some wing bars and a couple of 591's. I spent time getting them right and measured up etc. I switched the opposite site mechanism around so they both face forward but the one I switched around seems to protrude forward of the bar and I am sure it looks wrong, though I have tried to figure out another way but this seems to be the only way.

Anyone else had a go at switching round so the keys are outward facing on both sides?

The instructions are very brief, just a few basic pictures.

Comments

• I found the same, it's solid enough when fitted but whistles like a bastard
    I ended up having the one on the passenger side fitted backwards, it's much better and less wind noise with no drawbacks that I have found in three years.
  • I found the same, it's solid enough when fitted but whistles like a bastard
    I ended up having the one on the passenger side fitted backwards, it's much better and less wind noise with no drawbacks that I have found in three years.

I was thinking the same while fitting. I may just have one on most of the time anyway. It certainly won't win any design awards lol.

I guess if you fit them opposite, then you can move them a bit closer too, as the handlebars won't hinder.
  • I queried this with Thule and this is their response:

Good morning Barry,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Thule Products.

Thank you for the images of the Pro rides fitted on your vehicle. I'm afraid that when you reverse the arm/carrier then this will always be the case and there is no way to make the carriers look exactly the same on the bar - the reversed carrier will always sit forward of the bar.

This has been tested in our test bed and is 100% safe to use.

I do hope that this is of help.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of any further questions or remarks.