Boost on new bikes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited September 2015 in MTB general
Is it just me or only a small minority of new bikes coming with boost hubs? Every bike I have read about mentions that it has non boost axles.
I thought it was the next big thing.

Comments

• Too many changes to fast I think people are just rejecting stuff from being fed up..
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Seems to be more common on 29ers and 27+ bikes. My guess is that most forks aren't available in boost yet, but I imagine we'll see it become more widespread over the next 12-18 months. 142x12 was the same when it first came out. It takes time for these things to actually become widespread, you have to think that most bikes will have been on the drawing board for a while before boost was announced and many will stick with what they originally designed to save money on having to redesign a back end just to keep up with the Jones. As I say give it 18 months and they'll be everywhere and we'll have largely forgotten about the current standards.
  • SRAM and DT Swiss seem to be pushing this along and Trek are using on a few of their ranges now so I imagine it will be around for the foreseeable future. I guess if boost is restricted just to 29ers and 27.5+ then I think it has it's place. It shouldn't cause much issue being another standard as you are using a bigger sized wheel anyway which gives a degree of separation over 27.5 sizing. Obviously the issue occurs more for 27.5+ but I think this will be more of an issue in the 2nd hand market and confusion over hub size for replacing wheels rather than a new or the original owner.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • The new Bronson and 5010 are coming with Boost rear ends.

Looks like another standard is getting forced upon the consumers again.