Alternative to Triban 500

jcpeden
jcpeden Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
I've been commuting for over a year on a B'Twin Triban 500 but I'm over 110kg so have to run the tyres at high pressure and there is no room to put a wider one on there.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative for under £1000 that would take a wider tyre? I'm assuming a 28mm tyre will be significantly more comfortable than a 23mm without sacrificing much speed?

Comments

• B'Twin Triban 540? Can take 28mm with mudguards or 32mm without.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Planet-x London Road, will take CX width tyres if you want!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've been commuting for over a year on a B'Twin Triban 500 but I'm over 110kg so have to run the tyres at high pressure and there is no room to put a wider one on there.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative for under £1000 that would take a wider tyre? I'm assuming a 28mm tyre will be significantly more comfortable than a 23mm without sacrificing much speed?

I've got a 500SE with 28 tyres on it (as recommended by the guy in the shop) , so are you sure you need a new bike, unless you wanting to fulfil the N+1 rule?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Right...after a couple of weeks I've discovered this bike doesn't fit a 28mm tyre nor a 25mm tyre with my Race Blades installed and the tyre inflated to useable pressure.

I'm considering a move to a Specialized Langster or a Kona Paddy Wagon. Typically I use the bike for 3 miles or less and only ever really commuting.

I'm keen on the idea of zero maintenance and a smoother ride from a less aggressive frame and a wider tyre.

Thoughts?
  • Right...after a couple of weeks I've discovered this bike doesn't fit a 28mm tyre nor a 25mm tyre with my Race Blades installed and the tyre inflated to useable pressure.

I'm considering a move to a Specialized Langster or a Kona Paddy Wagon. Typically I use the bike for 3 miles or less and only ever really commuting.

I'm keen on the idea of zero maintenance and a smoother ride from a less aggressive frame and a wider tyre.

Thoughts?

I thought the standard Raceblades were limited to 23mm anyway, so the 28 was never going to fit . I jumped to the Raceblade XLs which are designed up to 32mm.

However, I really don't think the Triban 500 (or at least the 500se) has clearance for 28 tyres at 100psi in my experience, so I've had to drop back down to 25s.

So you could just replace the mudguards, or fulfil the N+1 need :)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...