Online, higher spec bike or LBS lower spec bike?

oliwade
oliwade Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Good evening,

I am looking at purchasing either the Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 9.0, which has Ultegra and a very decent wheelset, or the Genesis Zero 3 with 105 and a lesser wheelset. I would not be able to try the Canyon for sizing first but can use their online tool, whereas I can purchase the Genesis from my LBS and with our only local team being sponsored by them and 2 Madison Genesis riders also being members of our local club I have a great amount of support with them.

However, the Canyon, despite being Aluminium is lighter and has a much better spec.

What would you guys do?

Just to add I prefer the look of the Genesis.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In your position I'd go for the Genesis. You prefer the look of it and you can be properly fitted to the bike when the LBS set it up for you. The 105 5800 groupset is only fractionally heavier than Ultegra and functionally just about as good. Wheels I'd consider to be a consumable item, so I wouldn't worry unduly about them.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Sounds like you are well placed to be able to work out the sizing and you could always pay for a proper bike fit session after you have bought either bike. Unless you strongly favour the appearance of the Genesis (which would beg the question why ask!) it seems a no brainer to me to go for the lighter Canyon with superior groupset (as stated above 105 is good) and wheelset (you haven't said how big a difference there is with the wheels). I don't subscribe to the theory that wheels are consumables - I place brake pads in that class and expect wheels to last several years if properly maintained.

Peter
  • Sounds like you are well placed to be able to work out the sizing and you could always pay for a proper bike fit session after you have bought either bike. Unless you strongly favour the appearance of the Genesis (which would beg the question why ask!) it seems a no brainer to me to go for the lighter Canyon with superior groupset (as stated above 105 is good) and wheelset (you haven't said how big a difference there is with the wheels). I don't subscribe to the theory that wheels are consumables - I place brake pads in that class and expect wheels to last several years if properly maintained.

Peter

I don't strongly prefer the appearance of the Genesis, so I guess that isn't such a big deal! There is a rather large difference in the wheels, they are a good bit lighter and the wheels that come on the £1200 Canyon are worth £450 alone. (The ones on the Genesis are about £100). I think I'll be going for the Canyon and looking at a proper bike fit after if I feel I need it!
  • Thanks for the input guys.

Just been to my local bike shop and have decided on the 2016 Genesis Zero .2 with Ultegra etc. Really love the look of the bike, for me thats important as I have to be excited to ride it!

It was £550 more expensive than the other two however at £1750, but putting one on order.