Tyres Schwalbe Durano Plus

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
OK, After 3 years and only a couple of punctures, I decided to replace my worn City Jet Tyres.

I bought Durano Plus 26" x 1.35 for my commute based on their puncture resistant claims.

After 2 months and less than 200 miles I got my first puncture, I thought oh well and put it down to tempting fate by believing all the claims ('Unsinkable" Titanic comes to mind) but when I inspected the tyre I was shocked as it was effectively scrap.

Am I just unlucky or should I take this back and make a claim...?

Would love to hear people's views (see photos attached). https://flic.kr/s/aHskjmmDVL

Cheers

Neil

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Why is that scrap?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • OK, After 3 years and only a couple of punctures, I decided to replace my worn City Jet Tyres.

I bought Durano Plus 26" x 1.35 for my commute based on their puncture resistant claims.

After 2 months and less than 200 miles I got my first puncture, I thought oh well and put it down to tempting fate by believing all the claims ('Unsinkable" Titanic comes to mind) but when I inspected the tyre I was shocked as it was effectively scrap.

Am I just unlucky or should I take this back and make a claim...?

Would love to hear people's views (see photos attached). https://flic.kr/s/aHskjmmDVL

Cheers

Neil

does it bulge when inflated? if not it should be safe.
  • The rubber appears to be peeling around the cut so I assumed it would just get worse...

Still pretty hacked off that the tyre got a puncture like this given the claims from Schwalbe - but No pneumatic tyre is puncture-proof so hoping I've just been unlucky. May put it back on and see how it goes.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I wouldn't even think twice. As Roger says, if the carcass is intact (i.e. the inner tube is not able to make its way through) then I'd be happy to ride on it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can fill the hole with normal rubber glue and leave to set (before inflating) to help prevent fresh debris going in, but far from a scarp tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have several cuts like that in my durano plus's, mine are were caused by glass. The tire still performs perfectly well