Cube Analog Uogrades

Deathbytrail
Deathbytrail Posts: 9
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
New to all this pedal pushing malarky.

Got myself a Cube Analog and hit the Swinley Trails last weekend and after some near death but overall positive 30 miles of riding I already have the bug to upgrade. I want to lose reciprocal weight first II think. So does nyone know how much the standard Analog wheels weigh (I don't have scales)? And forks will be next are Rebas the way to go?
After that it will be slx brake levers after cooking mine pretty quickly.

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How did you cook your brakes at Swinley? The hills are absolutely tiny!
    I would consider a new bike. The cost of new wheels, forks and brakes will be far more than the bike cost and then you will want a dropper post and better transmission. All you will be left with is the frame which isn't great.
    A new bike will work out cheaper.
  • Because I hadn't ridden anything like it before so was trail braking alot to scrub a little speed off. Could just be I'm doing it wrong but I'm sure my technique will improve. I had a choice buy a bike for 500 or save for another month or so and get a 1500 I chose the former. So my plan is to upgrade smartly then eventually pickup a full suss and swap over the components.
  • rockmonkeysc
    With the amount your going to spend on this bike you would be better off putting the cash towards a better bike. You won't get much back on the upgrades when you sell this bike on.
  • Like I said I know that would be the most logical. But I like the frame and I'm happy to make a upgrades here and there for 6months or so then bite the bullet. Plus I would rather trash this bike learning ;-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Shimano Deore brakes. superstar wheels and Rockshox Recon Gold TK forks would be my suggestion.
    Good performance parts for reasonable prices.
    I rode for a week in the Alps on Deore brakes and didn't overheat them once, even on 2000m / 30km descents.
  • Thanks I'll take a look.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know Swinley well, and even dragging brakes I doubt you could overheat them. More likely glazed the pads or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I would imagine you guys are right then, I just know I was going for the brakes and there was nothing and heard they were not the best. Cheers for the advice
  • I would still honestly not worry abut upgrading the bike.

just get the technique and riding style down. save the pennies then when you know what you like riding then spend. you may end up preferring a totally different style of riding with longer travel and then the new forks would be worthless. Or decide you like bigger/smaller wheeled bikes and then wheels and forks would be bound for the bin...

really get a feel for what you want out of the sport, your riding and learn about equipment how it effects the ride and so on. Then you will feel far happier that you dropped the cash on things totally suitable for you.
  • I would still honestly not worry abut upgrading the bike.

just get the technique and riding style down. save the pennies then when you know what you like riding then spend. you may end up preferring a totally different style of riding with longer travel and then the new forks would be worthless. Or decide you like bigger/smaller wheeled bikes and then wheels and forks would be bound for the bin...

really get a feel for what you want out of the sport, your riding and learn about equipment how it effects the ride and so on. Then you will feel far happier that you dropped the cash on things totally suitable for you.

THIS. the second I got my new acid I was exactly the same, wanting a new this and that and planning my next bike...8 months later i'm in love with it and not that fussed about upgrading at all.
  • Cheers guys chances are I'll hold fire anyways while I shed to 15kg + off me before blaming 100g heavy wheels lol
  • Jdon
    Jdon Posts: 45
    Hi mate, I had an Analog a few years back and I made a few upgrades. The 1st upgrade I would recommend is changing to SPD's if you haven't already. What I did after a few months was buy a second hand Reba for about £120, it made a huge difference to the feel of the bike, not only weight but also the feel. Also down the line I think going to a single front ring would improve weight and make things much simpler for you. I always found the brakes on my analog ok but since I have upgraded I must admit XT brakes are fantastic. But just keep riding and make changes when you need to.
    Good Luck mate