Proper winter gloves

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,439
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any recommendations for good winter gloves? I've seen the Prendas "air tunnel" (see link) but have doubts if they would be warm enough for a Yorkshire winter.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-gloves.html#review_tabbed
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good winter gloves? I've seen the Prendas "air tunnel" (see link) but have doubts if they would be warm enough for a Yorkshire winter.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-gloves.html#review_tabbed

I'm a big fan of lobsters. And doubling up when necessary, the defeet wool gloves under proper winter gloves have got me through many a cold ride and I'm a soft southener...
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Glove liners under a wind-proof outer glove. Works for me in the worst a County Durham winter can throw at me in terms of temperature.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    These have done me well for 3 winters - time for replacing this coming winter though as some of the loft has compressed:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/shield-gloves-ec040436

Proper Scottish winters, none of this Yorkshire stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    castelli estremo are the warmest i've tried

no problems feeling/controlling shifters/brakes, grippy palms/fingers, soft bit over the thumb for wiping nose, the cuff is nice and long with a wide velcro bit so that you can snug them down over jacket sleeves

they are not full waterproof though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Layer, layer, layer - works for the rest of the body so why not the hands? I use Assos lobsters over Assos Early Winters and, when it gets really cold (-11C) a liner glove too (Gore runners gloves in my case).

The big advantage of layers (apart from being warm) is that they are much easier to dry. You can also adjust more easily (cold start if the day to later on).

Since we're comparing testing zones, mine is full winter commute in the Scottish Highlands.

Make sure you keep your arms warm too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I struggle with cold hands so tend to go overkill. I run a merino liner under wind proof gloves u til it gets to 3-4 degrees, then I tend to switch to the Rapha deep winter gloves which I've found superb. Again I layer under those. I suspect most people would find that combination overkill though.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Just got some sealskins lobster gloves in the wiggle sale section, great reviews, £15 were £45, get em now lol.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Those Prendas gloves don't have taped seams so no good in the wet. Lobsters / Mitts below minus ten and Pogies for when it's truly Arctic (I've entered a race in Northern Finland in February!)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Layer, layer, layer - works for the rest of the body so why not the hands?

Technically you're onto something. Most cold hands are caused by a cold core.

If your core is cold then your amazing body compensates by drawing blood away from the extremities to try and protect the core. Hence the cold hands.

The biggest problem I found is wet gloves. Soon as this happens, the gloves are ineffective. On wet days I might give some neoprene gloves a go.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    +1 for Sealskinz lobster gloves. I suffer with cold hands and feet and started off with Gore Power SO gloves, which even with merino inners just couldn't cope in cold weather.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Just got some sealskins lobster gloves in the wiggle sale section, great reviews, £15 were £45, get em now lol.

Looks like all gone now?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Looks like all gone now?

Try the outlet store, I got some great bargains there last year

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/outlet
  • rdent
    rdent Posts: 49
    SealSkinz on Sport Pursuit at the moment.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Another vote for lobster style gloves. I usually suffer more than my riding partners when it's cold, I must have bad circulation or something, but lobster mitts have been the only glove that have stopped my fingers from being in pain from the cold.
  • Altura night vision 2 piece gloves.
    Warm base layer with waterproof lined outer. Toastie.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for good winter gloves? I've seen the Prendas "air tunnel" (see link) but have doubts if they would be warm enough for a Yorkshire winter.

I have the very gloves and worn with silk liners they have been good for me.
  • As previously stated - layers are better than a single layer.

I find that my silk glove liners (http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-silk-liner-gloves-405573?colcode=40557303) combined with a standard softshell glove is warm on freezing days.

The two together are warmer and make control of the brakes and shifters easier than a fat glove.
  • A pair of Pearl Izumi P.R.O lobster gloves for me. They've probably been the best bit of cycling kit I've ever bought as it means I can cycle all year round.
  • Get a wee hairdryer and blow it through the gloves before the ride. :)
    I use Galibier.cc 's Barrier glove and find it excellent.

I've got bad circulation in my hands, and find that that's the only way they'll stay warm on cold days. :)
    (I've tried more torse/arm layers etc)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2