weak knees after a ride

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
when i do a longish ride, i have issues, when i get back walking down stairs, feeling weak and needs to support and slow my descent on the stairs...

any ideas? and what to do!

regards
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Either accept it as inevitable, or go on shorter rides until your fitness improves..
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Whats a longish ride?

Is there anything new to your rides?

When you ride are your turning big gears rather than using a higher cadence?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • lesz42
    30 to 60 miles plus, also it goes after a few hours
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's normal for your muscles to be tired/fatigued after a long ride. So either deal with it until your legs recover, or aim for shorter rides with less likelihood of fatigue.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    are you eating enough?

it's not simply about distance, it's how hard are you pushing, you can use a lot of energy,if you don't replace it then you may feel very tired/weak afterwards
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    How often do you do. Such rides? How fast do you go? Basically it's a lack of strength and fitness. Squats help enormously with knee strength.
  • lesz42
    do 30/40/50/60+ mile rides every 2 /4 weeks ( 13 to 15 mph), road and shorter mtb. its not a energy thing, feels like its more an imbalance of muscles ... if that makes sense,
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    When you do squats for the first time in a while you have to go down the stairs one at a time holding onto the rail. Even when you're used to them it feels like you are collapsing down the stairs for a few hours afterwards.

I think stair descending is just a very coordinated action that relies on all your muscles responding in a predictable way.
  • lesz42
    thanks to all for the replys:)
  • I used to live on the top of a hill with a highly geared road bike. I had that after every ride and just put it down to leg strength being exceeded so they got tired. It goes so not a problem long term I reckon. I actually used it as a marker to show when I had done a good, hard ride.

Later on I strengthened my leg muscles at the gym and never got them again. I was using the leg press at 525lb setting so pretty much nothing could cause that weakness going down the stairs. Now I am nowhere near that leg strength so I occasionally get it after pushing it in a high gear.

Perhaps do lunges whilst holding weights. I find those harder than squats and they tend to work the legs in different ways. I think they probably help with balance in the muscles too. Kind of like recruiting other leg muscles together in a more natural way I think. Anyway last time I was in a gym and used the services of the trainer she gave me these lunges to do. Also some one legged exercises that I have forgotten now. All with weights to increase the effect. That did result in feeling weak going down the stairs more than the 525lb leg press believe it or not.