Will I look like a Girlie?

jj93
jj93 Posts: 35
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
So, will I? And will it matter?

Years ago (25 years at least) the wife and I bought 'his and hers' Apollo MTBs from our local Halfords (when Halfords were just a little shop in the town). Very basic bikes, but 'hers' was infinitely more comfortable than 'his'. The whole geometry was different, not just the seat padding! Only the lower crossbar and the colour, pinky mauve, gave it away as a Girlie bike.

Lots of the bikes now sold as Girlie are anything but pink. And the crossbars don't always give it away. What makes them more suitable for the fairer sex? If I turned up on one for an event, with all the 'boys' on their manly bikes, would I stand out as a bit of a closet case? (I do like to think that I'm in touch with my feminine side, but I'm definitely not of that persuasion!! :lol: )

The reason I ask is that my next bike (a 29er) needs to be comfortable as number 1 priority. Most of what I'm looking at is a minimum frame of 18", and I really need 16", which seems to more common in the Girlie bikes. And, the deals seem better for a s/h Girlie bike.

Do any of you 'blokes' admit to riding a less macho machine? Or is this one of those tabboo issues that no one talks about :shock:

Comments

• Id personaly get a 27.5 or 26 for such a small frame size if ur going small. I ride a 17.5 and my bikes manly. Their loads of unisex 16inch frames, have look on Evans website more choice than halfords. Women's mtb don't tend to have the drop bar on them now, I could get away with riding my wife's MTB, exactly same frame shape, geometry as mine, yes a little pink on it as it is a womens bike but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going out on it.most girlie bikes don't look so girlie now. Tbh most folks won't judge you on what your riding as long as your enjoying yourself. What's your height ? Re a 16inch frame?
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some women's frames are actually women's specific, usually having a shorter top tube to accommodate the shorter torso (women tend to have more of their height in their legs), others are just the mans frame in a different colour scheme and slightly different components (saddle and thinner grips for example).

The low end trek MTB's use a short top tube to give a more upright ride (higher bar position as well), it sells as people find it more instantly comfortable but is actually rubbish off road.

Most people won't give a stuff about what a bike looks like (it's how it rides that matters), those that do probably ride even worse than me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it fits, what difference does it make?

My girlfriend rides a man's MTB, and she's anything but manly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Used to ride a ladies carrera Vulcan just because I got it for a steal. Wasn't pink but was a female specific colour... Apart from the running joke between me and my mates I never heard anything said about it. Took that thing flying round the malverns, was a good little bike.
  • jj93
    What's your height ? Re a 16inch frame?

I stand 5"6', with 29' leg.
  • I'm 5,9 with same inner leg 29, I had a 18" frame on my first bike and that fitting ok, my second bike is 17.5" and fits alot better. You'd be ok upto 18" frame.long as you can stand feel flat over the top tube ur fine.modern frames xc bikes tend to have a very slanted angle topbtube, even on my 17.5 frame if I walk towards the headset straddling the frame I can feel the top tube rubbing my undercarriage.
  • The Rookie
    edited August 2015
    Wrong approach, being shorter with the same length legs means the OP needs a smaller bike to get the shorter top tube he needs to suite his torso length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jj93
    Regarding the top tube length. I've got the current bike set up for fairly upright riding, which I think has been giving me the back pains on the rough stuff. Is there such a thing as a perfect angle to sit on a MTB?
  • The Rookie
    Sitting bolt upright will do your back no favours, leaning forward means you don't get shocks traveling straight up your spine, your grips should be roughly level to 2" below the saddle when in the pedalling position (leg not quite straight with the pedal at the bottom) and your arms should be slightly more vertical than the torso. It's also good practice to learn to read the trail and make sure you are slightly unweighted by pedalling effort as you hit any slight bump or lump.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You need to go to a good bikeshop and sit on / test ride a few bikes. Most bikes are available in 16" or similar frame sizes. Unless you have longer legs and a relatively shorter body / arms a womens bike is probably not the best choice.

What budget are you looking at ?
  • Yea rookie right, my torso is quite long so 17.5 frame and my long top tube suit me. I did have a entry level trek but that one had a short top tube and no matter what I always felt cramped in the cockpit. Maybe a shorter topbtube might suit your shorter torso.
  • What's your budget?
  • jj93
    Budget is 3-400. If I really had to I could push to 500. I'm edging towards new rather than used. I think if I'm looking at used I'll use up my budget on the best spec I can find, and have nothing left for the inevitable repairs that were not quite fully detailed in the description. At least new and local means warranty for a year. Not sure how that works with mail order.
  • You can get a good quality MTB for that price, Evans cycles got sales on at the mo, So you make get a good spec one for cheaper, you have a Evans cycles near you?
  • cooldad
    Doubtful at Evans though, even on sale.
    Obvious choices are Halfords, Decathlon and Go Outdoors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I'm 5,9 with same inner leg 29, I had a 18" frame on my first bike and that fitting ok, my second bike is 17.5" and fits alot better. You'd be ok upto 18" frame.long as you can stand feel flat over the top tube ur fine.modern frames xc bikes tend to have a very slanted angle topbtube, even on my 17.5 frame if I walk towards the headset straddling the frame I can feel the top tube rubbing my undercarriage.

and what is that meant to mean?

if it is what i think. Wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Long as you can stand with your feet flat while straddling the bike off the seat, then the bike isnt to large. You're ment to be able to touch the floor for safety reasons I'm sure!
  • cooldad
    No, that's just something you made up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What about tip toes? Is that acceptable?
    While in the saddle, your feet should not touch the ground and your leg should be almost completely extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke. You ought to be able to straddle the top tube fairly easily with your feet flat on the ground
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Standover height is personal preference. Having once crushed myself on the top tube due to a bike with a lack of Standover height i am not repeating it.
  • jj93
    Well, this is what I ended up with...

http://www.cyclesuk.com/en/Merida-Big-Nine-300-29er-Alloy-MTB-Matt-BlackGreyYellow/m-45147.aspx

...in store at £520. It's got everything I wanted (whatever that was... I started getting very confused with my requirements). Bonus is it's a 29er, with a medium frame, that I can stand over the top tube, it's got air shock, it feels a perfect fit for my frame, it's not a girly colour, it's from my closest LBS, and I really like it.

I tried a 'unisex' Specialized Jett earlier, at £600, and it was OK'ish, but this one just 'felt' right.
  • Nice ride, air fork a hugh bonus too. Looks good, enjoy !!)
  • Girlie, what an offensive word! Most females riders at my club finish before me and look a lot better than I do too..
    Stay positive people :)
  • jj93
    And I have to admit that while I was stretching to fight off the cramp last week I was passed by plenty of 'Girlies' who were looking fresh as daisies!