La Vuelta 15 #9 Torrevieja / Cumbre del Sol **SPOILERS**

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited September 2015 in Pro race
Sad day yesterday with too man nasty crashes and many peoples favourite rider taken out with a shoulder injury from a great position in the GC

156 MARTIN Daniel TCG withdrawal
111 BOECKMANS Kris LTS withdrawal
51 BOUHANNI Nacer COF withdrawal
38 VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC withdrawal

Torrevieja / Cumbre del Sol. Benitatxell

With the lack of imagination (apart from the hoopy TTT) predominant in the Vuelta so far we have a hundred miler finishing with a MTF

CARTE.jpg

The two mountains are actually one - the first time around the ascent is only partial and the route takes the riders on a loop before the full ascent to the mountain top finish

PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Take the percentages with a pinch of salt -- Dan Martin has, among others, already said that the road book is regularly incorrect.

As an offer to pro-teams for next years Vuelta - next year I will personally survey any of the climbs you want; no need to pay me just lend me one of those bikes, some free kit and give me the nod. How is is possible these huge outfits can be surprised? Just plain poor management - a GT and they are acting as if they had no idea what the route was till the morning of the race.

Comments

• Roadbooks have been inaccurate for years. For many races, not just this one. The teams all know it, and roll with it.

No team - even those with the biggest budgets - are going to devote staff and time to recceing and filming every single stage of every race they line up for.

Call it a quirk of the sport, if you like. If they were really that bothered about it, they'd try to apply pressure via the AIGCP or whatever it's called, to come up with more accurate roadbooks. But they're really not that arsed about it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sagan not starting today because of injuries from yesterday
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Roadbooks have been inaccurate for years. For many races, not just this one. The teams all know it, and roll with it.

No team - even those with the biggest budgets - are going to devote staff and time to recceing and filming every single stage of every race they line up for.

Call it a quirk of the sport, if you like. If they were really that bothered about it, they'd try to apply pressure via the AIGCP or whatever it's called, to come up with more accurate roadbooks. But they're really not that arsed about it.

And that's why it is bad management - the teams that adapt tip the scales in their favour. Not that many years ago scoping out the routes would have been a serious dent in a teams budget - nowdays with clever enough sponshorship wheezes they could do it at a profit.

On a different note - and really sad - to add to the list of witdrawals at the top of this thread

Peter Sagen
    http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/peter-sagan-retire-vuelta-espana/

Jasper Suyven
    @Jasperstuyven 12 hours ago
    On the other hand.. @lavuelta is finished for me after I broke my scaphoid in the big crash off the day..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Any chance the riders will neutralise today as a protest? Not that it will make much difference as I suspect it will effectively be neutralised until the last 4km anyway!
  • Geraint Thomas is in today's 13 man break.
    Went very early and they have just under 3 minutes after 20kms.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    5 mins gap with 75k to go.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Geraint Thomas is in today's 13 man break.
    Went very early and they have just under 3 minutes after 20kms.

one of my favourite riders
  • Vino'sGhost
    That saxo kit definitely looks better without the grey splodges that were added for the tdf
  • Vino'sGhost
    zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    some one wake me up for the crashes or the last 15K

zzzzzz zzzzzzz
  • Pross
    This climb's a bit of a brute. G coping well at the present but the break looks doomed, under 2 minutes with 44km to go.
  • Pross
    Caja Rurale rider barely turning the pedals. Fans being really well behaved and the police doing a good job. Some other races could learn from them.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Caja Rurale rider barely turning the pedals. Fans being really well behaved and the police doing a good job. Some other races could learn from them.

the feds def making themselves felt. all good. and what a climb oooft

HAHAHA goood man bagging the points Omar Fraile non world tour rider in the climbers jersey
  • Pross
    Excellent riding and timing by Fraile ensures the mountain points first time up the climb and the leaders have gained 45 seconds back on the hill. Some contenders are likely to lose significant time when they race up this again to the finish.
  • Vino'sGhost
    going to be brutal next time up WOOOOOOP
  • Pross
    Break reforms after the climb but down to 6. Lead back at 2.23 with 35km to go.
  • Pross
    Dumoulin comes across really well in interviews. Seems upbeat and optimistic whilst remaining realistic.
  • Pross
    Break eased slightly to allow 3 more riders to get back including Pavel Brutt who I didn't even realise was still a pro!
  • Pross
    Letting them back looks to have been a mistake, break disorganised. OPQS car providing G with a bottle - hang them I say!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Being so high up on GC at the Tour and had the first week of this race off my man G has no excuse not to win thi stage.
    Any chance the riders will neutralise today as a protest? Not that it will make much difference as I suspect it will effectively be neutralised until the last 4km anyway!

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    10km to go, Brutt and Bouet have pulled back out to over 1 minute having been down to 45 seconds. 3 others including G at 10 seconds. Katusha doing most of the work. G now bridging to the 2 leaders. About 4km to the finish climb.
  • Pross
    7km and the lead trio still have about a minute. Katusha look knackered and likely to get mugged.
  • Pross
    Katusha give up towing the (greatly reduced) peloton. OGE finally come to the front. Lead down to 40 seconds with 5.8km to go. All over for G and co. I think.
  • Pross
    Hitting the final climb, break at 15 seconds. G goes pop.
  • frenchfighter
    Despite being able to ride 85% of the peloton off his wheel in most races, Geraint is now going backwards on this short climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Quintana, Aru and JRod lead the charge.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Froome is nowhere, for now.

Valverde lining them out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    All caught. Valverde takes the lead, Chaves there and Quintana attacks. Pulled back by JRod and other favourites. Valverde goes and gets a gap with Aru dragging them back. All action since the start of the climb. 2.9 to go.
  • Pross
    Froome dangling of for he lead group with Tom D attacking. Froome back.
  • frenchfighter
    Froome rejoins the leaders when they slow and now Tom D gives it some beans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Tom D and Caja rider lead. Froome straight through and chasing Chaves struggling. Too much happening!!