One begats the other

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited August 2015 in The cake stop
Hardly bloody rocket science is it.

People in the midlands are some of the lowest paid in the country but for some reason work more hours than most other places in the country. Shock horror. :roll:

No wonder George Osbourne was singing the regions praises. To be fair to that horrible tw@t it was the same when "new" labour were running the show.

I think you know for whom I work, and indeed the plant I work at are some of the lowest paid nationally within the company.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Can that really be true ?
    I don't know if it is or not but I have a lot of family in newcastle and that area and whilst almost everyone they know is actually unemployed, those that do work get little to nothing and rarely make more than minimum.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    In a similar vein......

"Raiding the fridge or downing glasses of water after a night of heavy drinking won't improve your sore head the next day, Dutch research suggests.
    Instead, a study concluded, the only way to prevent a hangover is to drink less alcohol."

Is there money to be made in conducting studies? I'd like to do one to find out if you get wet when it rains.
    Too late.....
    http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=46064.0
    :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • In a similar vein......

"Raiding the fridge or downing glasses of water after a night of heavy drinking won't improve your sore head the next day, Dutch research suggests.
    Instead, a study concluded, the only way to prevent a hangover is to drink less alcohol."

Is there money to be made in conducting studies? I'd like to do one to find out if you get wet when it rains.
    Too late.....
    http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=46064.0
    :lol:
    I saw a (not very scientific experiment) on the TV programme Brainiac and it transpired that walking in the rain resulted in you staying drier than running in it. They didn't extend it to how wet you got if riding a bike.
    Tail end Charlie

• Can that really be true ?
    I don't know if it is or not but I have a lot of family in newcastle and that area and whilst almost everyone they know is actually unemployed, those that do work get little to nothing and rarely make more than minimum.
    Have corrected original post. I meant to write (some of) the lowest paid. Which I admit does put a slightly different spin on it, but not much.
    Tail end Charlie

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    In a similar vein......

:

I know some really clever people who still think that hangovers are caused by 'mixing their drinks' rather than the amount. I never get hangovers, but then I never get drunk.

The older I get, the better I was.

• VTech
    Can that really be true ?
    Have corrected original post. I meant to write (some of) the lowest paid. Which I admit does put a slightly different spin on it, but not much.

Sorry, I didn't make my post to argue with you, just curious as I innocently thought the midlands was thriving in wages and on reflection I was wrong. I do wonder wether the ability to land the bigger planes at Birmingham would play a part in more work and better paid jobs in the midlands, I know not many people look at that aspect but as I travel for work I always have to fly from london or manchester as there are no direct from Birmingham.
    Thats one of the reasons why we are moving to the London area.
    Living MY dream.
  • Can that really be true ?

Sorry, I didn't make my post to argue with you, just curious as I innocently thought the midlands was thriving in wages and on reflection I was wrong. I do wonder wether the ability to land the bigger planes at Birmingham would play a part in more work and better paid jobs in the midlands, I know not many people look at that aspect but as I travel for work I always have to fly from london or manchester as there are no direct from Birmingham.
    Thats one of the reasons why we are moving to the London area.
    I didn't think you was arguing fella, as long back as I recall the east midlands has always been in this particular predicament.
    Tail end Charlie

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I think if you look at the traditional industries of the East Midlands. Textiles. Engineering. Some Mining. Railways.

All of these have at some point been usurped or farmed out to the Far East or Eastern Europe were the workforce really do work long hours for peanuts.

We don't have a lot of a sector in Finance, Blue Chip Technologies e.t.c, The stuff that tends to rely on Intellectual property and be carried out 9-5 in air conditioned offices along the M4 corridor or in the home counties.

We used to be an engineering powerhouse, but didn't invest in re-tooling and technology, We used to have the biggest textiles manufacturers in the world ( not that they were ever that well paid).

Look at our once greats, Bombadier, Rolls Royce, e.t.c they have to beg for Government contracts when surely they should be the preferred supplier, that's what backing Britain is about surely?
  • VTech
    I designed and built a product a couple of years ago and needed 7 key components, the only part that let me down was the engineered part from the UK. I kid you not, it was a joke. I used a government backed project for my injection moulding instead of farming it out to China.
    I actually found a suitable partner up north in Sheffield who have been doing an awesome job so happy now but I can't remember the last work we did in the UK.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    In a similar vein......

:

I know some really clever people who still think that hangovers are caused by 'mixing their drinks' rather than the amount. I never get hangovers, but then I never get drunk.
    Personally, I blame pubs who do not clean their pipes properly.
    I am fine if I drink spirits, wine, or bottled beer.
    There are some pubs that I will not touch the draught stuff in again. Some will say it is down to the quantity but the results are consistent, even if the amounts are low.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.