Anyone shoot air rifles here ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
I purchased a gun ages ago and have only just got round to using it and kind of like it.
Anyone here shoot ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    used to in my early teens, was a good shot, but it brought out my inner sniper and i got in parental trouble over this - didn't aim at people, just pinned a few down :)

had a pistol in later years, but gave it up before the ban, not into guns per se, just enjoyed target practice, the necessary calm/control and focus to be precise
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to shoot and have a couple of air rifles. An ancient .177 which is a bit weak and a .22 which I can't get zeroed.
  • I shoot 10M Air Pistol. I tried 10M Air Rifle, but found it too difficult, so I stuck with the pistol. I've been doing it for 2 years now, and I'm steadily improving. I really enjoy it. I also shoot 25 yard .22 LR prone, which I also really enjoy.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    used to in my early teens, was a good shot, but it brought out my inner sniper and i got in parental trouble over this - didn't aim at people, just pinned a few down :)

had a pistol in later years, but gave it up before the ban, not into guns per se, just enjoyed target practice, the necessary calm/control and focus to be precise

As this, use a zoraki alecto pistol for 10m target practice, purely as sungod says for hand/mind. breathing control, tho recently decided to cheat and put a red dot sight on (amazing bit of kit for £20) you'd find it difficult to miss anything with one of those on
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I used to use a .22 air rifle with telescopic sights back in the day.
    I was once (and once only) firing at a metal target when the ricochet came straight* back and hit the sights.

Does that count as shooting a rifle?

* I thought I was being clever by shooting at an angle but that angle coincided with the bore rifling angle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    Im far from a good shot but it seems enjoyable and I'm trying to find things to do whilst I'm not working.
    I like it and have a decent rifle so will spend more time having a go at getting better. Just wondered who else here also did it.
    Living MY dream.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    A bit off topic but my father in law has a Paralympic Gold for Air Rifle and Air pistol shooting.

Of all of the many sports medals he has (he was a semi pro footballer, Chelsea apprentice and county everything prior to his accident), his favourite is not the clutch of Paralympic medals (he has 5 I think) but one from a small regional shooting championship.

Despite being the 9th best shot in the world regardless of ability at the time, my FiL was not allowed to represent the "full" (ie able bodied) British Team as him being in a wheelchair was seen as being an advantage. The chap who won the World Title that year was British and my Father in Law (an obdurate bloke to say the least) beat him in the subsequent regional championship and still maintains he was shafted in their refusal to let him compete at the "full" Worlds
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Prefer shotguns and clay shooting. Used to be a decent enough shot 8-9/10 clays :) Never my own guns and out of practice now.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I used to. Then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I do.

I have shot air rifles since i was 11.

I`ve had probably around 40 or 50 over the years, but at present only use a Daystate Mk4is

Pre charged pneumatic with an electronic trigger.

It`s filled the freezer many times over and is the go to tool for many pest control jobs.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Just out of interest are all air pistols banned or just a certain calibre?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Here you are Sean

http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expert-advice/airgun_law_in_the_uk_1_1111764
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I do.

I have shot air rifles since i was 11.

I`ve had probably around 40 or 50 over the years, but at present only use a Daystate Mk4is

Pre charged pneumatic with an electronic trigger.

It`s filled the freezer many times over and is the go to tool for many pest control jobs.

Is that an FAC one? a great rifle, with amazing potential for hi power.
    Though i totally agree pneumatic is the way fwd, i do like my HW80, with a spring, guide and seal from an american tuning firm, great fun and very practical, even if it does weigh a ton.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Here you are Sean

http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expert-advice/airgun_law_in_the_uk_1_1111764
    Thanks Bally
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • No air pistols are banned, in fact no handguns at all are banned, they are just restricted.

Certain air pistols fall under sec 5 licensing. Any with cartridge air capsule systems, and any with over 6ft/lb muzzle energy.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I used to borrow my dad's .22 air rifle. His allotment was a great place to set up some target practice with milk bottles, biscuit tins, pensioners...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've got two rifles, a crap SMK that wouldn't burst a balloon and a full power .22 Kral with a red dot sight, used mainly for pest control.

I've also got a Gammo P23 .177 Co2 pistol that fires BBs and pellets but I'm not a great fan of Co2, effected by temperature too much.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I used to, I don't any more.
    . . .I'm trying to find things to do whilst I'm not working. . .

Why not take up cycling? Lots of people on here do it. :D
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • VTech
    I used to, I don't any more.
    . . .I'm trying to find things to do whilst I'm not working. . .

Why not take up cycling? Lots of people on here do it. :D

Im actually getting back into it :oops:
    Living MY dream.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I used to go through cans of pellets as a kid; in my mid teens I could take money from older relatives betting on the number of pennies I could plink at 30 yards.

Fished out the rifle when I was home about a year ago (probably the first time in 10 years) and couldn't lay down a half-decent group - there seems to be a real knack to shooting a spring-gun well and I've lost it...
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I used to be a pretty good shot and for several years had a marksman badge in the forces, which was roughly 5 out 5 .762 rounds inside a sixpence at 25yds with a leaf sight.
    when my boys joined the cadets we bought a cheap air rifle. We could not get better than 2inch group at 12 yards, so I thought I was just old and knackered; but the local gunsmith said he was surprised I could hit the target at all, as basically what we had was little better than a musket, and the more you pay the better they are. So don't be too hard on yourself.
    my boys were later very good shots. practice is good.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    What you thinking of going for Break barrel or pre-charge?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Used to shoot when I was a teenager mostly in the garden and surrounding countryside for woodies and rats but also at a local club which was fun. I had a .22 Webley Omega which the local shop had tuned up. It's still being used (although not by me). Solid rifle.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Riding my bike a while ago in the middle of nowhere and saw a bloke with an air rifle at the side of the road. He was throwing a dead blackbird into the undergrowth. I felt sad. I hope the above enthusiasts are happy to shoot at inanimate objects.
  • If they shoot those bastard squaking magpies I'd be happy :)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If they shoot those bastard squaking magpies I'd be happy :)

I've been told that magpies are, like all members of the crow family, very clever. To the extent that if you shoot one when there's another one around to witness it, you won't see any in your garden for months. Never having shot anything living I couldn't tell you how true this is though.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hate, hate, hate the b'stard things.

I literally poo myself the minute I see any kind of weapon with rounds in/around.

But that's just me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Hate, hate, hate the b'stard things.

I literally poo myself the minute I see any kind of weapon with rounds in/around.

But that's just me.

Bollox. You just don't like the mess they make.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

I literally poo myself

In fairness, I don't think anyone likes that kind of mess!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

I literally poo myself

In fairness, I don't think anyone likes that kind of mess!!
    Probably more so if you spend time fixing that kind of mess on a large scale.