canyon,yt or norco

mog1404
mog1404 Posts: 60
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
just after peoples opinions on what bike i should get next.
just had my driving licence taken off me due to medical reasons so i have to think a bit harder into what bike is best for me now i wont be able to drive my bike to afan and bpw etc anymore so will be riding local trails and riding over to afan which is about a 25 mile round trip on forest roads was going for the norco as i can try it at evans cycles but am thinking the canyon may be a better choice as it has the shape shiffter for climbs and the yt has had such good reviews got to look at it to need a bike that can do it all as i like a trip to the alps now and then so what do you all think im looking to spend around £2000ish on range 7.1alu,capra or strive cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need to be a bit more specific. Canyon, YT and Norco all make a whole range of bikes
  • mog1404
    norco range 7.1 alu,canyon strive alu or yt capra alu sorry ment to put it in first post but forgot thats why i lost my licence my brain is a bit broke at the moment haha cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    All are completely OTT for what you want and would just feel heavy, sluggish and boring for the sort of riding you will be doing. I wouldn't Base your buying decision on what you will want for one week a year, you could always hire a bike for that week.
  • alexjim
    alexjim Posts: 48
    Hi I agree with RockmonkeySC I am looking at the canyon strive myself and it's design for enduro have you look at 29er Trek x-caliber does a nice range they are hard tail but I think it will work well for want you want to do.
    Alex
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I differ from Rockmonkey myself. I love having the big 160mm bike, they are so efficient and relatively light these days you pay minimum penalty for them over a trail bike. I have loads of fun on mine in all situations from light blue trails to Downhill routes.

If the bike feels right to you ride it. But try a few! lower travel to more!
  • mog1404
    I will be riding forest roads to get to Afan and my local secret trails that have big rocks lots of roots and 5 to 15 foot drops and road gaps so don't think a hard tail will do the job what I mean is as I've lost my licence will be riding uphill more not driving to trails with the bike in my van will still be going to bpw when my mates are going but I do ride on my own a lot due to others working shifts and I don't
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The Range is a big bike - I have a friend who has one in carbon and compared to my similarly specced Bronson it is heavy and sluggish. decent on the descents but just too big for my tastes and the alloy ones are only going to be heavier with lower spec thrown in to mix.

The Capra falls in the same boat - I know two people with them and both are trying to move them on for smaller lighter models to make the whole riding experience more enjoyable.

I have no experience of the Strive but from what I know of it, it would be very similar to the Range in application.

I'd be looking at the Sight, Trance, Enduro/Stumpy end of things for what you describe - such capable bikes and by dropping down the suspension travel you tend to end up with a little more bike for your money. My mate's carbon Sight is an amazing piece of kit (especially at the bargain price he paid), another friends alloy one with lower spec is decent, his gf's Trance is nice enough too although I would change the bars and stem personally.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Giant Reign?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I love the way the Reign descends but it's hard work on the climbs.
    Rose Uncle Jimbo and Transition Patrol are both great up and down
  • clint29
    I love the way the Reign descends but it's hard work on the climbs.
    Rose Uncle Jimbo and Transition Patrol are both great up and down
    I'm toying with a Reign or Foxy for my next bike you ridden both?
  • rockmonkeysc
    No, just the Reign. Its amazing going downhill but hard work (compared to my bike) going up.
    I have ridden a Transition Patrol and that's pretty good up and amazing going downhill.
  • clint29
    No, just the Reign. Its amazing going downhill but hard work (compared to my bike) going up.
    I have ridden a Transition Patrol and that's pretty good up and amazing going downhill.
    Cheer's.
  • Would the Rose Granite Chief be a good all-round option over the uncle Jimbo?

Or Radon Slide perhaps?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • rockmonkeysc
    Never ridden a Radon. The Granite Chief is also very good. Rose have a UK agent so service can be a bit better than the other German direct sales brands.