Bike creaks WITHOUT pedalling - at any speed

Shucker
Shucker Posts: 8
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi there,

I have a KTM e-bike that's been riding fine since I got it a few months ago. Yesterday it developed a creak that occurs:
• when pedalling
• when coasting/not pedalling
• when my feet are on the pedals
• when my feet are off the pedals
• when sitting on the saddle
• when not sitting on the saddle

It's difficult to tell if the sound is from the pedal area or the back of the bike. It doesn't occur when on a bike stand and the pedals are turned, or when I walk it, only when I put weight on the bike. The creak is consistent as I move forward (i.e. it doesn't just happen if I get on or off or bounce around).

I've tightened everything I can find that can be tightened. Everything *seems* lubricated well enough, but maybe I'm missing something. It's been very dry all summer but the past couple of days it's rained heavily and I was out in one of those storms the day before the creak started. Makes me think something is a little rusty or dirty perhaps but I can't imagine what.

Any ideas?
Many thanks!

Comments

• Headset?
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Check the barrels where the cables enter after they leave your gears/brakes. I regressed everything on my bike until i realised it was the barrel adjuster itself. I just added a little lube and the squeak has gone.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Quick release skewers not tight enough? Headset spacers? Bar clamp?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Shucker
    The headset, bar clamp and quick release are good and tight. I'd added some Phil's Tenacious Oil to the barrel adapters and will let that sit for a bit and see if that makes a difference.

I might have to get my wife to sit on the bike while I walk beside her to try and located the area of the creak. It's hard to tell with the sound bouncing around on walls, etc. It definitely sounds lower on the bike and as the bike moves faster, the creak increases frequency so I assume it should be related to something spinning or touching something spinning...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Is there any movement of, or flex in, the battery housing?
  • Shucker
    Is there any movement of, or flex in, the battery housing?

It's screwed on tight. There is a plastic outer shell that pretties it up but the only chance of it making noise would be from major vibration (going over curbs, rocks, etc.) - which isn't happening at the speed I'm testing it at.
    Thanks!
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Another mysterious creak eh....

Try cleaning and lightly lubing the seat rails.

Creaks come from the most unexpected places.
  • Shucker
    Try cleaning and lightly lubing the seat rails.

The creak also occurs when I'm not sitting on the bike... but I did oil the rail where it meets the clip at the back of the seat, just to eliminate any future annoying noises. :)
  • Shucker
    My wife is home and I had her listen for the creak. It's definitely in the back and located around the back wheel hub/motor. This morning I removed the back wheel and reseated it just to make sure it was in there properly.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    I would go with the headset suggestion or bars...take them off and clean them.
    May also be spokes where they cross, can make some weird sounds
  • Shucker
    It's definitely at the back and spokes are what I'm going to investigate this afternoon... Oil them and wipe between them where they cross. Cheers!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    -Worth checking the rim. Spokes pulling through the rim will sometimes make a pinging/creaking sound.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Shucker
    -Worth checking the rim. Spokes pulling through the rim will sometimes make a pinging/creaking sound.

My LBS gave it a listen and they think it might be a loose rear cartridge. I'll report back as soon as I hear anything.