Derby Velodrome

1235»

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I agree with what the coach was saying about getting more track time, initially when he was giving "feedback" i thought he was going to fail everyone who hadn't done more than one stage 2!
    How do you guys get more track time if you don't pass your SQT stage...is it through a club or track training nights for novices?
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    How do you guys get more track time if you don't pass your SQT stage...is it through a club or track training nights for novices?

You repeat whatever accreditation stage you're on until you pass it, or if you're already accredited, you can do the SQT or repeat level 2 (its the cheapest way of getting an hour in).

I believe I was on the same Level 2 on Saturday, although i'm accredited, I was using it as track time, before my first SQT next weekend. Based on what I saw on Saturday, there were a number of pace issues with one or two riders which, almost caused crashes. I was on/near the back on 2 occasions when the line practically stopped on the home straight, it was frankly dangerous and the riders responsible were not ready to pass the session and move to level 3.

I think that this put the coach (Simon) on to a negative stance, no doubt looking for issues, or something to justify some or all of the group having to repeat level 2. Although failing one for the actions of another is a little harsh in my opinion, they should be able to identify riders with issues.

In my experience of the accreditation process, when the group does well, with no incidents, the group passes. But they all need to be ready for the next stage, which is a big jump from level 2. I was talking to Simon before the session and he said there's been a number of people pass level 2 who weren't ready for 3 with only 2 hours track time under their belts, maybe they're being extra cautious/harsh to avoid this happening again.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • Kylabr88
    Kylabr88 Posts: 35
    Only way to improve is track time although I'm accredited I try and join the level 2,3 and then the accreditation groups think I managed 3hiyrs Saturday but the best sessions are SQT
  • top_bhoy
    You repeat whatever accreditation stage you're on until you pass it, or if you're already accredited, you can do the SQT or repeat level 2 (its the cheapest way of getting an hour in).
    I can only speak about my own experiences and my improvement has came about through track time with an experienced coach and just as important, having wiser and experienced heads around me. I cycle with guys who've been doing it for many years or who race regularly and are all helpful to pass on that knowledge. For improvement and learning, there's nothing like instructions being passed on, not only from the coach but from the voice immediately behind telling you when to push, sit back or move into the space. Maybe I'm picking it up wrong but it sounds like that is missing from your sessions because the other riders in the session have the same level of inexperience; they have no-one to learn from.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I agree with what the coach was saying about getting more track time, initially when he was giving "feedback" i thought he was going to fail everyone who hadn't done more than one stage 2!

I don't think there are novice training nights individuals can book into.

I do club nights - I find them more useful than repeating accreditation sessions. I've passed the level 2 now but I'm not in a hurry to do level 3 as I find the club sessions a better place to learn than accreditations which are basically assessments. On reflection I do think the coaches are on a bit of a hiding to nothing because most people who don't have access to regular club sessions (I've done 6 hours in the last 4 weeks) are forced into taking accreditations to get track time so people are having to take accreditations when they probably feel they aren't ready and that means the accreditations can be full of people who aren't really up to the required standard yet. It really needs the management to put in place some open coaching sessions along the lines of "preparation for stage 3" or whatever so people can book in and learn so they turn up to the accreditations prepared.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926

I don't think there are novice training nights individuals can book into.

I do club nights - I find them more useful than repeating accreditation sessions. I've passed the level 2 now but I'm not in a hurry to do level 3 as I find the club sessions a better place to learn than accreditations which are basically assessments. On reflection I do think the coaches are on a bit of a hiding to nothing because most people who don't have access to regular club sessions (I've done 6 hours in the last 4 weeks) are forced into taking accreditations to get track time so people are having to take accreditations when they probably feel they aren't ready and that means the accreditations can be full of people who aren't really up to the required standard yet. It really needs the management to put in place some open coaching sessions along the lines of "preparation for stage 3" or whatever so people can book in and learn so they turn up to the accreditations prepared.
    Totally agree, I have suggested exactly the same thing to them. We do mostly skills stuff every other Friday and it's great for progression plus good fun, anyone can thrash around for lap after lap changing off the front.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    Another session cancelled due to lighting failure....not having much luck!!
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    The first women's track league starts on the 15th September, enter via BCs website, https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/136807/Derby-Arena-Track-League
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    I have to say it's down to the coach Graham,Nicky are brilliant a lot of the other coaches are clueless I was at a SQT and there was a rider who was clearly inexperienced and was giving other riders tips which was laughable later this guy admitted to being a level 3 track coach.some of the coaches might know the theory but really are learning themselves hence they going undercover learning how to ride a bike on SQT's.Advice for anyone doing level 2-3 a good coach will have eyes at the back of his head if you want to improve and progress join a session with a proper experienced track coach.

Nicky has left Derby, he's joint us at lee Valley.
  • Derby have started doing a level 2 + session, I think it's just once a week, Tuesday's 5-6:30 for anyone who has done level 2 and wants extra track time before level 3!
  • DeVlaeminck
    http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-cuts-Arena-handed-trust-privatised/story-28292389-detail/story.html

Highlights the problem of funding regional facilities like this when funding is subregional and being cut. I'm not convinced there is scope for raising prices much though I dare say some activities on the track may be charged less and these might be squeezed for more high value activity?

I also think they could be more imaginitive in what they offer - sqt equivalent for non accredited riders, later opening and get the track in use for longer, make better use of the watt bikes, try answering the phone (my other half tried booking a gym induction and ended up going in to do it) but Even with all that can a velodrome break even?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Not surprised.
    SQT equivalent for non accredited riders?
    Why not get accredited and do the SQT's? It's not that difficult. The more people accredited wanting SQT's the more SQT's will be made available.
  • top_bhoy
    Not surprised.
    Why not get accredited and do the SQT's? It's not that difficult. The more people accredited wanting SQT's the more SQT's will be made available.

Easy to say in the current financial climate (has finances ever not played a part in public facilities) but I think pricing is an issue.

http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/programme-prices/ Looking at their listed prices, not many new riders will have their own bikes so asking people to potentially pay around 25 quid for 1 hour (bike+shoes), I think it is expensive enough.

If they aren't already doing so, hopefully they can better engage local affiliated clubs and also build a wider user base by having more options for women and juniors. Nothing against other sports but it would be very sad to see a great velodrome facility turned into say a netball centre or 5-a-side pitches a few years down the line.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Not surprised.

Take your point but if there is a demand - which I think there would be - then from a business point of view shouldn't they meet that demand.

As for local clubs, women and juniors (from other post above) - I would say those groups are very well catered for - how about a 3 hour session for a tenner...if you are female ! Not that that is a bad thing but the group that are probably missed more than others are novice men.