Wheel/hub upgrade

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening all. I have a little cash to spend on my '14 Whyte T129s. My current setup is wtb i19 (19mm int dia) with Whyte branded hubs.
This setup is ok but in fast turns and biggish rocks I can feel them skip around and the front burps if ran too low and sometimes comes off completely.

Anyway,three main questions.....

would a pair of hope pro 2 evo hubs mated to wtb i23 rims be a worthy upgrade?

How much does rim int dia (+4mm) affect tyre shape? I'm quite tight on the rear with a 2.2 ikon as is.

And roughly how much am I looking at to build them?

Thanks in advance, CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds more like tyres/pressures than wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've been messing around with them for a while but when I get them biting nicely (high 20's) I'll hit a root/berm/partially buried rock in a turn or steep techy decent and it'll burp most if not all the air, sometimes even unseating the tyre. This often results in some OTB action, pumping it to mid 30's and having it ride like shit till I trust it enough to lower the pressure. Rinse. Repeat.

It's a tubeless ready 2.3 HR2 on a TR (wtb tcs) rim.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    No idea on those rims, but a wider rim does really help hold the tyres at lower temps!!
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Nice bike! The issue with the 129-S is rear tyre clearance with the chainstays however a mate with the same bike has just fitted a pair of Hope Enduro wheels with the slightly wider rims and fitted a 2.2 tyre that seem to work ok, i think the wheels cost about £350.
    Pressures are a personal thing, on my bike I usually run 20f front 24 rear Hands Dampf 2.3 front and a Rocket Ron 2.1 rear on stock WTB rims setup tubeless.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Nice bike! The issue with the 129-S is rear tyre clearance with the chainstays however a mate with the same bike has just fitted a pair of Hope Enduro wheels with the slightly wider rims and fitted a 2.2 tyre that seem to work ok, i think the wheels cost about £350.
    Pressures are a personal thing, on my bike I usually run 20f front 24 rear Hands Dampf 2.3 front and a Rocket Ron 2.1 rear on stock WTB rims setup tubeless.

I've been looking at these actually. Sounds like the rims are just their version of the stans they normally build with.

Turns out wheel shopping is a right PITA
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I swapped my 19mm ID rims for some 23mm ID rims. to be honest I didnt notice much difference if any riding.
    Being wider though the tyre will have a lower wider profile so may be less prone to wobbling around. Id be more inclined to look at the rim profile and tyre type im sure your seating it correctly but it sounds also like that kind of issue
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My current setup is wtb i19 (19mm int dia)
    Blimey that is small.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice bike! The issue with the 129-S is rear tyre clearance with the chainstays however a mate with the same bike has just fitted a pair of Hope Enduro wheels with the slightly wider rims and fitted a 2.2 tyre that seem to work ok, i think the wheels cost about £350.

I've been looking at these actually. Sounds like the rims are just their version of the stans they normally build with.

Turns out wheel shopping is a right PITA

I would also reccomend the Hope Enduro wheels. I have bought three sets now (all still solid) and even use them on my DH bike for racing, they're extremely strong for the weight.
    They are quite different to the Stans Flow EX's, they are a little lighter, not as soft and a little stronger. They are actually made by DT Swiss to Hope's spec.
  • Well, pulled the trigger on the hope tech enduros. Only been out 4/5 times so far but I'm already impressed. Maintaining speed on climbs and navigating rock gardens in much easier, I'm shredding berms with loads more confidence also.

Thanks guys. CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er