Single speed chainset rattle

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited September 2015 in The workshop
I'm getting a derailleur like rattle when I put some pressure during peddling on the single speed fixed gear bike. If I stop putting pressure and just let the cranks rotate it goes away.

I was thinking it could be saddle rail/seat post, so I stand off the saddle it seems to reduce in volume (whilst peddling) but it's still there.

I don't think it's the chain being too tight, I've already put out as much tension as I think is safe (it has tight and loose spots)

I have put copper grease on chainring bolts
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    When you say dérailleur type noise I assume you mean like when it's not quite indexed correctly? I don't know bike you have but your wheel's not moved slightly has it so the chain is trying to run on the sides of the ring and cog?
  • father_jack
    It sounds a bit like front derailleur rub, when chainring isn't quite straight, as you pedal chain rubs against derailleur cage.

I'll try playing around with the wheel on the weekend.
  • Chain alignment.

The crank and wheel are slightly out of line. Mine does it, annoying but not the end of the world.
  • father_jack
    Bought another track cog, of a another make and will give that a try. It's offset, wheras the one i have now is centered, and the one I got with the bike was centered as well.

WIll that make much of a difference?
  • father_jack
    Still rattles.

as for out of alignment, it wasn't like that when I bought it.

Seems to be quieter when it's wet weather.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Still rattles.

as for out of alignment, it wasn't like that when I bought it.

Seems to be quieter when it's wet weather.

worn or dry chain?
  • father_jack
    Nope to both.

I'm pretty sure the chainring was on the right side of the bike, but I read you can put it on it inside? All the pictures I've seen have the chainring on the right side.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    I'm pretty sure the chainring was on the right side of the bike, but I read you can put it on it inside? All the pictures I've seen have the chainring on the right side.

Yes, can mount it on inside too if it gives better chainline
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mount it in the best place for the best chainline, so have you measured the front and rear chainlines?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.