10 speed Centaur with 11 speed Shimano cassette

aquickone
aquickone Posts: 148
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,
Just a quick compatibility question. I am currently running a full 10 speed Campag Centaur Black/Red groupset. I have a "spare" set of Shimano 11 speed wheels. Would it be possible to run 11 speed with a Shimano cassette (that I also have spare?) I realise I would need new shifters and a rear mech but would it work? The reason I am wanting to try this is that I have parts and also the Shimano ratios I think would suit me better? It also means I don't have to buy a whole new groupset (or a new bike!) Cheers for any advice.
Giant Anthem X1
Eddy Merckx EMX-1
Eddy Merckx AMX-1

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I suppose the question is whether you want/need to upgrade to 11speed or not. If you do, you can use Shimano 11 speed cassettes with Campag 11 speed shifters and mechs.

If you don't, then the cheapest thing to do is to buy an Ambrosio 10 speed Shimano spline Campag index cassette and a 1.8mm spacer. Costs about £30 all in for the cassette & spacer. I run my bike exactly like this so I can run a set of RS010 Shimano wheels on two different bikes, one Centaur equipped, one Ultegra equipped (but 10 speed).

I think there is lot of sense in running 11speed Campag with Shimano wheels, cassettes are consumables and something I change depending on where I'm riding. £75 a pop for Campags cheapest offering ie Chorus is ridiculous compared to £20ish for £105. It would negate any advantage of 11 speed if you couldn't afford to have the right selection and one of your ratios was a 28 that you need for climbing occasionally when you've only got flat riding coming up.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Just to elaborate:

You can't mix 10 and 11 speed shifters / cassettes.

If you stay 10 speed as Davo says you can use you "11 speed" Shim wheels with the appropriate Ambrosio 10 spd cassette (shim spline / campag spaced) and a 1.8mm spacer (but not your existing 11 spd shim cassette).

If you fit 11 spd shifters (campag or Shim) then you can use your existing wheels and cassette as Campag and Shim have identical spacing at 11 spd (but 10spd and below they differ hence the ambrosio solution). I.e. You can pair any 11 speed wheel to 11 any 11 speed shifters.

Rear derailleurs don't care how many sprockets you have, they move where the shifter tells them to go.

Using Shimano splined wheels on 11 spd campag gets you more choice of cassette at cheaper price points, marginally cheaper cassette removal tool I think, and probably sneering looks from campag purists who have to pay through the nose for cassettes as Campag don't currently have an 11spd cassette below Chorus level, one of the reasons I went Ultegra over Athena recently on a new bike.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • aquickone
    Thanks for the input. Yes the idea would be an 11 speed Shimano wheel with 11 speed Shimano cassette running Campag shifters (just because I prefer the ergonomics.) Could I use the Campag shifters with a Shimano rear mech as you say its only pulling the cable on it? I realise the purist's would throw a hissy fit at that idea, but the ratios and ergonomics suit me better!
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Campa shifter with Shimano rear mech makes it even worse/more complicated.
    Campa 10 speed shifters/mech works reasonable good with 10 speed Shimano cassettes.
  • aquickone
    As I say I meant 11 speed not 10 speed? I can get the Athena shifters just wanted to know if this would work with say an Ultegra rear mech? As the indexing is the same I am guessing the mech doesn't really make a huge difference at 11 speed?
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No, it won't.
    The cable pull is determined by shifter+rearmech geometry, so mixing up two brands doen't work properly without modifications or shiftmate...
  • aquickone
    OK great thanks for all the calrifications :-) new shifters and rear mech time it is then :-)
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What ratios is it you're after that you can't get with a 10-speed setup?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • aquickone
    I am currently running a 12-29 cassette and find that about right apart from very top end speed on the flat. I sometimes ride my mates 105 5800 11 speed running 11-28 and this is a better ratio for me. I prefer the Campag shifters, but Campag cassettes are ridiculous money in my opinion. I have a "spare" set of Shimano 11 speed wheels and thought why not give it a go. I don't want to change the whole groupset so if this works then why not.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Crikey. What front chainring do you have?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • aquickone
    I have a Centaur 34/50 on the front and yes I could change this but as I say I have an option that won't cost me loads to try so thought I would give it a go.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1