Tannus Tyres

Sharkyssurfers
Sharkyssurfers Posts: 767
edited April 2018 in Commuting chat
Have any of you folks seen or use the tannus solid tyre, reckons its 100% puncture proof, they are a tad expensive but could be a good alternative to us commuters, if any of you are using them then let us know what they are like.
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

Comments

• Have any of you folks seen or use the tannus solid tyre, reckons its 100% puncture proof, they are a tad expensive but could be a good alternative to us commuters, if any of you are using them then let us know what they are like.

Ugo posted a review on his blog, they look promising
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive seen them in the flesh. it cant puncture as its a solid piece of rubber!
  • UGOs blog on them is very good and very informative. I have noticed that they do different componds now so some of the lost energy might be restored with a softer compound. I might have to pop into the shop and have a look when I am cycling that way.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Yeah, I used them for a short commuting week and my wife for a short ride to Hampon court and back... we both agreed the ride quality is dreadful, but that is mainly because the road surface is poor pretty much anywhere. In ideal conditions they shouldn't be too bad.... problem is the "rebound" stroke when you hit any dishomogeinity on the road is completely dead...

Other than that, they are not bad, if labour intensive to fit and can only be fit once... problem is, the reason we ride pneumatics is mainly comfort and these haven't gone very far in addressing the issue for non pneumatic tyres

The puncture problem can be significantly improved by using latex based sealants, either in the inner tube or more effectively as tubeless pneumatics.
    A statistic on the last 10 punctures I suffered says that 9 have been dealt by the latex without any intervention, so that's a 90% improvement (could have been 100% if I had not sucked up a shard of glass half an inch across)
    left the forum March 2023
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Yeah, I used them for a short commuting week and my wife for a short ride to Hampon court and back... we both agreed the ride quality is dreadful, but that is mainly because the road surface is poor pretty much anywhere. In ideal conditions they shouldn't be too bad.... problem is the "rebound" stroke when you hit any dishomogeinity on the road is completely dead...

Other than that, they are not bad, if labour intensive to fit and can only be fit once... problem is, the reason we ride pneumatics is mainly comfort and these haven't gone very far in addressing the issue for non pneumatic tyres

The puncture problem can be significantly improved by using latex based sealants, either in the inner tube or more effectively as tubeless pneumatics.
    A statistic on the last 10 punctures I suffered says that 9 have been dealt by the latex without any intervention, so that's a 90% improvement (could have been 100% if I had not sucked up a shard of glass half an inch across)

I've used sealants for the past 2 years or so and (fingers crossed, touch wood, please don't let this be famous last words) haven't had a proper puncture all that time - when I've checked/changed the tyres it's clear I would have had loads without the sealant but it's worked. And the one time my wheel did hiss and deflate, it sealed again at around 70PSI and I was able to get home.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Hello chums,

I have Tannus tyres on my Ribble as i used to commute a lot and got my hair off with visits from the PF. Due to a change of work locations i don't use it half as much but when i do the pros and cons are really as other people have said above, a real pain to fit but once on they are there forever, on smooth road surfaces they are excellent but on british roads they aren't comfy but thats what sudocrem is for right?
    Toodles
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Yeah, I used them for a short commuting week and my wife for a short ride to Hampon court and back... we both agreed the ride quality is dreadful, but that is mainly because the road surface is poor pretty much anywhere. In ideal conditions they shouldn't be too bad.... problem is the "rebound" stroke when you hit any dishomogeinity on the road is completely dead...

I suppose the question is how much of a hassle is punctures, and how frequently?

I never really had much of a problem admitly the Single speed road bike did have 1 or 2 a year, the old MTB with lighter weight racer tyres bar stupidity such as attempting to roll at speed over a high kerb, with full paniers. Just doesn't happen, front tyre is two years old and rear 1year old neither have punctured.

I ride on shared gravel paths, shared urban paths so glass and what not though I do avoid if possible. But thus far the fairy shows me no love, which is fine by me.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    So they sound like marathon+ but heavier and less comfortable. Difficult to get excited by them
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So they sound like marathon+ but heavier and less comfortable. Difficult to get excited by them

They're certainly lighter than marathon+ especially once you factor in no need to carry spare tubes/pump (I mean, you could risk that with marathon pluses, but would you?) Comfort sounds like a close run thing however.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

They are not heavier, they are lighter. Read my review.

They are made of foam, which has a very low density, as opposed to rubber
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've been riding a pair of these Tannus airless jobs for about 6 weeks now on my 10km commute.

Short review: They do what they say on the tin, but the cost of zero puncture stress is about 2kmh.

Longer review: I used to run 25mm Durano+ at about 120psi (excuse the pressure, I'm 2m and 110kg of ex track sprinter). I now ride 28mm (chosen to minimise rolling resistance) Tannus Aither 1.1s. The difference in ride quality isn't that noticeable: both are pretty hard, you just learn to ride better and watch the road.

Grip is good, even in the wet. But increased pain in thighs may or may not be worth it depending on what you want from your ride. Personally, I want zero puncture stress and lots of calories burnt, while still keeping up with my commuting buddies.

These tyres provide *exactly* what I want.
    AND THEY"RE BRIGHT BLUE. Which makes them *cool* 8)

Finally, a comment about fitting: Easy if you're heavy, you just lean on it. If light...I'm not sure? Find a heavy mate?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've had such a bad run of luck with p's this month that I'm contemplating them, although as a strong heavy rider I'm rather concerned that if I pop a spoke it might mean the destruction of the tyre in order to replace it (depending on where the nipple has ended up) which would become rather expensive!!

Is it just a case of rock solid wheels and hoping that any spoke breakages are at the hub end?
  • I've had such a bad run of luck with p's this month that I'm contemplating them, although as a strong heavy rider I'm rather concerned that if I pop a spoke it might mean the destruction of the tyre in order to replace it (depending on where the nipple has ended up) which would become rather expensive!!

Is it just a case of rock solid wheels and hoping that any spoke breakages are at the hub end?

that does seem something of a down side doesn't it!

I had very good success with Marathon pluses, and if you play with pressures, the ride improves, used to run 25mm at 60psi with out pinch flats etc.
  • Forum necro here...
    Because of the lack of cushioning from medium bumps, spokes are more likely to break if you're extremely heavy and I stopped using the Tannus tires a while back because of this. I didn't find the rolling resistance to be significantly more than the marathons I had on at 100 psi.