Excessive sweating. Not always under high effort.

StinkinHippy
StinkinHippy Posts: 160
edited January 2016 in Health, fitness & training
Just wandering if anyone else has had similar problems and how they combat it.

My mum has always had issues in still air, but isn't very athletically inclined so to speak.

My problem is that even under fairly average effort, 5 minutes of work can leave me literally dripping sweat from every inch of my body.. 10 minutes can see my t-shirt soaked through and continued effort just sees the whole thing get worse.

I'm aware that there is medication available from doctors for those who sweat excessively, but I was hoping that maybe there is some kind of vitamin/supplement combination that may help me out before I go down that route.

Would really like to be able to go out on a ride without having to carry at least a litre of fluid per hour in the saddle or risk pounding migraines through dehydration. Not to mention the disgusting look of being drenched in my own sweat.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would talk to your GP about it as it could be an underlying medical condition they can assist with. Some people do sweat more than others or need more fluids than others due to the way their bodies work. In four hours of hard xc riding in summer i would go through three water bottles and drink more when i finish. Also on the long steep uphills i would be sweating alot as it is hard work.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    It's called hyperhydrosis. I'm the same, I sweat all the time. My son used to have medication (for something else) that is used to control sweating but it's never really worked for him. The side effects weren't great either - hallucinations and generally going a bit nuts and screaming a lot. Obviously we stopped using it. Personally, I just live with it. People I know, know that I'm sweaty. I keep myself and my clothes clean and that means I don't become smelly. I also use a good antiperspirant (not deodorant) to reduce under arm sweat.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm the same too, but I have a long standing adrenal gland problem. I use Anhydrol Forte for more prominent areas.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    Speak to your GP, I'm the same, I got a roll on deodrant aliminium something that blocks up the pores to reduce sweating, seems to have got even better having moved out of a city and back to the country
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • brocco
    brocco Posts: 20
    As above I have had good results with perspirex but it needs to be applied for a few days..... and of course read the instructions ;)
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Hiperhydrosis in my family too. I get it on hands, feet, underarms and bum crack. In the past I've used iotophoresis for my hands, which is effective, but is uncomfortable and inconvenient. I don't bother with the iontophoresis these days.

Sounds like you got it worse though. Suggest that you stick to warm when wet clothing i.e. wool and avoid membrane fabrics unless you have to.

There are drugs, but as others have said, there are side effects. There is surgery, but it's has risks and is irreversible. Unless you find the hiperhidrosis unbearable, best option is to mitigate. The strong antiperspirants do work a bit, but you can't put them on all over.

As far as impact for cycling, the only issue for me is hands. I generally go for wool gloves in cool weather avoiding any kind of shelled glove unless I absolutely have to i.e. very cold and wet. Neoprene is an option. I recently put Lizard Skinz bar tape on and I find this good even when wet.

My socks will be wet whatever I do, but I'm just used to that.