HolowTech II on a Track Bike?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
I'm currently running a square taper BB (165) on my Felt TK track bike.

I've recently got a Stages Ultegra PM (172.5) and want to use it on my track training over the winter.

Can I fit a hollow tech BB and crankset to the Felt? Which one?

Will 172.5 crank arms be a problem on the track?

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    track chainsets offer an ideal chain line i.e. straight on a track bike, you'll want to check this is possible using a hollowtech II BB and chainset

any shimano 10 speed or 11 speed hollowtech II BB and chainset will fit.
    172.5mm cranks not ideal on the track though unless you are 6ft 8 or something (i ride 170mm on the road, 165mm on the track - to help spin the gear)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    ^agreed.

I've put one on my winter single speed commuter though. It wasn't too hard - I needed to push the chainline out about 3mm so I put a spacer between the BB cup and the frame and then a washer behind the chainring bolts. It has discs though so the spacing is wider. Shouldn't need so much fiddling for a track bike.

You'll need to get the shell faced - cost me £10 at my LBS - but other than that should be pretty simple.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I use an FSA standard carbon mega exo crank on my Paddy Wagon (120 rear end track inspired bike). I don't use any extra spacers on the bb but have to run the chainring on the back of the spider for a perfect chainline.
  • I use an FSA standard carbon mega exo crank on my Paddy Wagon (120 rear end track inspired bike). I don't use any extra spacers on the bb but have to run the chainring on the back of the spider for a perfect chainline.

Ditto my Langster and Singlecross bikes - chainring on the back of the spider for the right chainline
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If it is for use at the SCH in Glasgow then technically 172.5 is considered too long - I've never seen anyone measure cranks though.