Problems fitting new calipers

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Bought a Defy 0 a few weeks ago and coming from a hydraulic brake equipped mtb I felt the brakes were a bit lacking.

The bike came with Shimano BR-R561s and the consensus of opinion on here was that they were pretty rubbish and it was worth upgrading them to 105s or Ultegra. I went for the latter as it matched much of the rest of the bike.

So I bought a new 6800 front caliper and am trying to fit it. All looks good : mounted it to the fork, aligned the blocks and fitted the cable. Blocks make contact nicely and stop the wheel but they will not release and the lever (Ultegra) doesn't return. It can only be made to return if I prise the blocks apart. It then can brake again but not return

Any thoughts? I'm sure it must be something simple I'm missing - it looked like a job even an idiot could get right!

Comments

• grenw
    Think I may have screwed up the cable and that an individual strand is sticking in the outer behind the barrel adjuster causing the cable not to return.

The above seems to be the case because now even my old calipers are doing the same thing when I refitted them. Bugger!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well hopefully you can rectify it by simply replacing the inner cable! I say hopefully because sometimes it's impossible to thread the new one through without faffing with the outer cable and hence bar tape.

I have my fingers crossed for you.
  • grenw
    Well hopefully you can rectify it by simply replacing the inner cable! I say hopefully because sometimes it's impossible to thread the new one through without faffing with the outer cable and hence bar tape.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Definitely needs a new inner as the frayed stuff had got all the way into the shifters. Must have snapped a strand and then worked all the way up the cable with every squeeze of the trigger. Booked into the LBS tomorrow as I've made enough of a mess already. Have some bar tape ready to fit anyway just in case.