La Vuelta 15 #2 - Alhaurín /Caminito del Rey **SPOILERS*

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited September 2015 in Pro race
So no GC time gaps after an almost neutralized stage 1 TTT. BMC adapted best - and normal services has been resumed with Peter Sagan in second place and a green jersey!

158 Kilometres from Alhaurin de la Torre to Caminito del Rey - 2 third cat climbs with the second summit also being the finish line

PROFIL.png

In a twisted figure of eight shape around Andalucia

CARTE.jpg

Valverde gonna go for an early grab of mailot rojo?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Who'd have thought it? A Vuelta stage finishing up a short, sharp ramp!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Who'd have thought it? A Vuelta stage finishing up a short, sharp ramp!

Gives Valv and Purito some chance of bonifications.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    A bit of "local" knowledge - been to Alora where the sprint point is, and the climb from the train station to the town on the top of the hill is sharp - might be a good launching point.

Alora's the last stop on the northern branch of the Malaga local railway and when I got there there was a man gesturing vigorously at his minibus. Think his job was to shuttle unsuspecting tourists up and down that hill all day.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    A bit of "local" knowledge - been to Alora where the sprint point is, and the climb from the train station to the town on the top of the hill is sharp - might be a good launching point with a quick descent ahead of that last climb.

Alora's the last stop on the northern branch of the Malaga local railway and when I got there there was a man gesturing vigorously at his minibus. Think his job was to shuttle unsuspecting tourists up and down that hill all day.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    is valverde on a kathusha bike?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D Apologies if this was posted yesterday... but its so good it deserves to posted again today :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Richie Porte ‏@richie_porte 20h20 hours ago
    Is cycling commentary always this terrible? Think I'm going to have to watch La Vuelta with the volume turned off.

Daniel LloydVerified account ‏@daniellloyd1 19h19 hours ago
    @saladdodgerbren @richie_porte Richie must have been watching the local feed ;-)

Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 18h18 hours ago
    .@thomasmurphy687 @xjtaylor12 @daniellloyd1 @richie_porte The world got gold on a terrible course. Dan rocks. If you don't agree... rocks!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Putting up with French commentary today.

Forgot to make my PTP pick as we're an hour ahead and our shopping trip turned into coffee then beers...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pile up!

Big pile up!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Nibbles caught up in it.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Nibali down and not happy.

Lampre guy does not look good. Fingers crossed he's OK
  • bobmcstuff
    Nibali having a little paddy there about how long it took to get a new bike.

One of the other Astana riders looks pretty bloody, didn't make out which it was though.
  • above_the_cows
    Tiralongo doesn't look like he should be getting back on a bike. Dazed and confused. A few riders looking really not well. An IAM and a Lampre still on the ground. Not looking good.
  • above_the_cows
    Niemec is the Lampre and is sitting up. The IAM looks to be unconscious.
  • bobmcstuff
    Looked like the IAM guy was breathing/moving to me?
  • bobmcstuff
    Someone from BMC has taken a tumble
  • above_the_cows
    Looked like the IAM guy was breathing/moving to me?

Phew. He seemed to be totally not moving straight afterwards, but apparently he's talking now.
  • fat_cat
    Carlton saying IAM guy is conscious and talking.

Sky don't seem minded to wait for Nibali. Pay back for the tour?
  • bobmcstuff
    Footage of IAM guy being loaded onto a stretcher, looks pretty bad. Suspected back injury maybe? Hence the keeping him lying down.
  • fat_cat
    Tiralongo at the medical car.

Looks a real mess, chapeau for getting back on the bike.
  • bobmcstuff
    Nibali's still chasing back on, looks to be a way off the back.

Most of the break's been caught, just Goncalves out in front.
  • above_the_cows
    Minute back to Nibbles apparently.
  • bobmcstuff
    Nibbles 38s off with 16km to go (I think - may have misunderstood French Eurosport...)
  • bobmcstuff
    I have misunderstood - that's the time to Goncalves. Has now dropped to ~20s
  • bobmcstuff
    Nibs now working through the team cars, good effort from Astana to bring him back
  • above_the_cows
    Lovely road surface here... :?

Nibbles is back.
  • bobmcstuff
    Nibbles back on and Goncalves almost caught with 10.5km to go - all back together for the final climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    I had another look at the crash. About 30 seconds after it happens Aru and Nibali are next to each other looking for a bike and a third Astana gives his bike to Aru. It took a minute and half to get Nibali a new bike. I don't see why anyone should be expected to wait for him just because he's famous.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    I had another look at the crash. About 30 seconds after it happens Aru and Nibali are next to each other looking for a bike and a third Astana gives his bike to Aru. It took a minute and half to get Nibali a new bike. I don't see why anyone should be expected to wait for him just because he's famous.

There'll be a jolly atmosphere at the Astana dinner table tonight. Wat leuk! :D
  • bobmcstuff
    I got the train through that gorge in June - it's pretty spectacular.
  • above_the_cows
    G's got his lucky white jawbones back! 8)