The Shit, Small Races Thread

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Phinney wins first stage of USA pro challenge in a bunch sprint.
    No exactly a sparkling field. BMC were also 3rd and 10th.
    Tao Geoghegan Hart was 21st.
  • Phinney wins first stage of USA pro challenge in a bunch sprint.
    No exactly a sparkling field. BMC were also 3rd and 10th.
    Tao Geoghegan Hart was 21st.

Happy for Phinney, stuck at it and got his reward
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It seems that at USA pro challenge and Tour of Utah, they sing the National Anthem at the start of every stage. Pretty ridiculous.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Apparently Guppy Vuillermoz wins the Olympic RR test event. And if that isn't a shoot, small race I don't know what is.
    Pauwels 2nd, Bardet 3rd
    Everyone saying it's a very hard parcours. 4km @ 11% average (!) plus 4 km at 6 %, every lap. https://www.strava.com/activities/369585836
    Carlo Bomans, Belgian national coach says it'll be for Contador, Froome, Nibali, Quintana or Aru next year. Early August is also perfect to carry your TdF form through. Looking forward to it already, especially with world championship parcourses being flatter the coming years

Check out the Japanese approach:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EftXTnM2AQ&app=desktop
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It seems that at USA pro challenge and Tour of Utah, they sing the National Anthem at the start of every stage. Pretty ridiculous.

The Americans like their anthem and play it at the start of pretty much every sporting event. Quite reasonably in my opinion, because its definitely a top 5 national anthem (France, Italy, Canada and Australia for the other 4, fact fans).
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    It seems that at USA pro challenge and Tour of Utah, they sing the National Anthem at the start of every stage. Pretty ridiculous.

The Americans like their anthem and play it at the start of pretty much every sporting event. Quite reasonably in my opinion, because its definitely a top 5 national anthem (France, Italy, Canada and Australia for the other 4, fact fans).
    Personally, I put Russia, South Africa and Brazil all ahead of Canada and Australia.
    France nailed it, but that's no excuse for Marc Madiot to sing it to his team on the bus before stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

Personally, I put Russia, South Africa and Brazil all ahead of Canada and Australia.
    France nailed it, but that's no excuse for Marc Madiot to sing it to his team on the bus before stages.
    May work well with big rise-up-and-fight anthems like the French or Brazilian; slow-paced sedate ones like the British or Dutch would put riders to sleep.
  • I should add, I think the American one is generally ruined by over-wrought performances at sporting events. I prefer it done straight.

Or Marvin Gaye's version at the NBA playoffs in, I think, 1982.

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

France, Russia and Italy are tops. The rest are also rans.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Terrific ride from Hugh Carthy.
  • frenchfighter
    Terrific ride from Hugh Carthy.

What's the point of posting this without any context? Congratulations to you for knowing a Brit rides for Caja.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    USA Pro Cycling Challenge Stage 2:
    profile-02.jpg

Stage 2 Results
    USA 1 BOOKWALTER, Brent (BMC RACING) 4:37:03
    AUS 2 DENNIS, Rohan (BMC RACING) + 6
    GBR 3 CARTHY, Hugh (CAJA RURAL-SEGUROS RGA) + 10
    AUS 4 CLARKE, Jonathan (UNITEDHEALTHCARE)
    USA 5 SQUIRE, Robbie (HINCAPIE RACING TEAM) + 13
    AUS 6 MORTON, Lachlan David (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) + 25
    ESP 7 ROSON GARCIA, Jaime (CAJA RURAL-SEGUROS RGA) + 27
    ITA 8 FORMOLO, Davide (TEAM CANNONDALE - GARMIN) + 31
    COL 9 ARREDONDO MORENO, Julian David (TREK FACTORY RACING) + 33
    FRA 10 BERNARD, Julien (TREK FACTORY RACING) + 38
    LAT 11 SKUJINS, Toms (HINCAPIE RACING TEAM) + 44
    CAN 12 BRITTON, Rob (TEAM SMARTSTOP) + 47
    USA 13 BROWN, Nathan (TEAM CANNONDALE - GARMIN) + 51
    USA 14 MANNION, Gavin (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) + 53
    GBR 15 GEOGHEGAN HART, Tao (AXEON CYCLING TEAM) + 54
    SLO 16 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (UNITEDHEALTHCARE)

Ronson is a 22 year old and joined Caja as a trainee this month.
    Hugh Carthy is only 21 and has a two year contract with Caja. He has been struggling this year to do anything of note but is still very young. Has a BMI sub 18 (not too difficult to believe when you see the photo bellow). (As an aside, Froome, Nibali, Valverde and Contador all are super close together with a BMI of 19.5ish and Quintana has 21ish).

Cycling Team Academy (Sagan's odd venture into Israel) are racing this. Deep end stuff - last but one in team classification.

Not sure why Formolo is not listed in the Young Rider Classification.

Last 13km:
    https://youtu.be/1CZnPS4Gubo

111702_DSC_9761.jpg
    115115_DSC_9815.jpg
    123451_DSC_1913.jpg
    133834_DSC_2238.jpg
    155540_USAPC15S2DP_Podium-4291%20copy.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Terrific ride from Hugh Carthy.

Bloody brilliant ride, glad I switched on for that Arapahoe climb in the Race of Colorado Highways. Made up for him. Herety must be beaming with pride.
  • inseine
    Great ride by Carthy. Only 21years old, ex Rapha Condor rider who was coached by Ken Matheson who was Charly Wegelius coach IIRC. He makes Froome look tubby at 63kg and 1.89m!
    Had a great year in 2014 winning the Tour of Korea and winning the moutains jersey in the Tour of Japan.
    Good to see.
    Better for you FF?
  • inseine
    Bookwalter keeps his lead after stage 3, after Kiel Reijnen (United Health Care) wins the sprint from what looked like a biggish group.
    Although it topped out at 3700m (!) it maybe wasn't a super hard stage given the time gaps, though Carthy seems to have slipped down a place to 4th overall.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah disappointed given it was a mountain stage but then not too surprising given the huge descent:
    profile-03.jpg

--

Australian Robert Power who somehow won Aoste this year and was Tour de l'Avenir runner up last year wont be competing in l'Avenir this year due to some knee trouble.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pleased that my man Hugh Carthy is doing well. He dropped off the back last night but got back on as they went over the last KOM.

In fact here are all my men for 2015, some for 2016 so far and one for 2017 so far.

And yes it's true he has done bugger all so far this year just like McLay and De Buyst. :roll:
  • Iljo complaining on twitter last weekend about the prize money in Czech Tour... QS made 30 euros for 6th in the TTT!

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    Iljo complaining on twitter last weekend about the prize money in Czech Tour... QS made 30 euros for 6th in the TTT!
    What does the amount matter if riders were complaining that while this year's edition of the race had started they hadn't yet received last year's price money?
  • Pleased that my man Hugh Carthy is doing well. He dropped off the back last night but got back on as they went over the last KOM.

In fact here are all my men for 2015, some for 2016 so far and one for 2017 so far.

And yes it's true he has done bugger all so far this year just like McLay and De Buyst. :roll:

Colour coding tekkers there
  • frenchfighter
    Dennis attacks shortly before the end after Phinney thinned the field out and went on to claim stage 4 in USA Pro Challenge and takes over the overall lead. Now given Brent Bookwalter, Dennis' teammate was leading the GC coming in and finished 2nd on the stage (so clearly was not in difficulty), it seems odd that Rohan would attack his teammate...it's not like he was chasing anyone down either.

Kreuziger was in the break today:
    134043_DSC_4881.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • This race, this edition, is the chipper of chippers

Its basically a BMC altitude training camp with a few randoms being allowed to get on their wheels
  • Dennis attacks shortly before the end after Phinney thinned the field out and went on to claim stage 4 in USA Pro Challenge and takes over the overall lead. Now given Brent Bookwalter, Dennis' teammate was leading the GC coming in and finished 2nd on the stage (so clearly was not in difficulty), it seems odd that Rohan would attack his teammate...it's not like he was chasing anyone down either.

Kreuziger was in the break today:
    134043_DSC_4881.jpg

BMC said at the start they were riding with the intention that whoever was best out of Bookwalter and Dennis would win. That's what Dennis said the other day too. That they can state this openly and that Brent Bookwalter is in with a shout at winning a stage race speaks volumes about how good this field is.

@gietvangent
  • inseine
    However chipperish the race is it seems logical that Dennis would go for the win since he gained a chunk of time that might be useful over the next stages. Agreed it's still a BMC procession.
  • frenchfighter
    BMC said at the start they were riding with the intention that whoever was best out of Bookwalter and Dennis would win. That's what Dennis said the other day too. That they can state this openly and that Brent Bookwalter is in with a shout at winning a stage race speaks volumes about how good this field is.

Fair enough.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    This race, this edition, is the chipper of chippers

Its basically a BMC altitude training camp with a few randoms being allowed to get on their wheels

Basically yes. It really is missing Jensie.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_ntddieSnNR1ruscp7o1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    This race, this edition, is the chipper of chippers

it has been poor. the draggy climbs play to fat thighed engines. Utah was way better parcours and field for the course, Plus i miss andreau on tour tracker talking about riders using the super tuck.

Rohan gifted the stage to UHC the other day I feel when he sat back down in the sprint as he was coming through. The only challenge for the team was not knowing if they could get bookwalter onto the top step...but they bottled it yesterday. Dennis looks as if he could have won the whole thing solo seeing as he has ridden on the front everyday anyway
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FJS
    Maurits Lammertink's win today in the Tour du Limousin's 4th stage was the first win this year (well, first ever) for Team Roompot. In late August! What a damp squib that team has been. Even for a pro conti team that's disgraceful
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Maurits Lammertink's win today in the Tour du Limousin's 4th stage was the first win this year (well, first ever) for Team Roompot. In late August! What a damp squib that team has been. Even for a pro conti team that's disgraceful

They were listening to you. Dylan Groenewegen won the Arnhem-Veenendaal Classic for the team as well, ahead of Yauheni Hutarovich.