Need brake help please??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I have Avid Elixer on my 2013 Specialized Camber - the rear caliper needs replacing and the shop want to charge £60 for one that's the wrong colour as its all they can get???

I'm thinking it may be cost effective to upgrade the whole lot - I can get Shimano SLX for around £100.

1. Would this be a good upgrade? Are there any better options?
2. Are all brakes a straight swap or do I need to get specific ones for my bike?

Cheers, desperate to get my bike back!!

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Hi all. I have Avid Elixer on my 2013 Specialized Camber - the rear caliper needs replacing and the shop want to charge £60 for one that's the wrong colour as its all they can get???

I'm thinking it may be cost effective to upgrade the whole lot - I can get Shimano SLX for around £100.

1. Would this be a good upgrade? Are there any better options?
    2. Are all brakes a straight swap or do I need to get specific ones for my bike?

Cheers, desperate to get my bike back!!

I run SLX on my transition & I find they're great. More or less the same as XT but a touch heavier.

Take a look at the Germans such as rose or bike-discount as you will get them quite a bit cheaper, but you will need to get the hoses shortend and sides swapped over (from EU to UK setup), most lbs shouldn't charge much more than £10 to do this.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've had elixir 7s amongst other brakes and I prefer the SLX I'm now using, I'd choose the SLX over repairing the elixirs
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Just Swapped elixer 1's for a pair of Shimano 785's, for a little over a ton, night and day difference, and I haven't even bled them or shortened the Hoses yet!

And they come with the clamp and gubbins to shorten the hoses.
  • JGTR
    Just Swapped elixer 1's for a pair of Shimano 785's, for a little over a ton, night and day difference, and I haven't even bled them or shortened the Hoses yet!

And they come with the clamp and gubbins to shorten the hoses.

Are those the same as XT? Will I need new rotors or are all rotors the same size? Friend had XT and really rates them
  • JGTR
    Bit short of money at moment, wife on maternity leave so brought a repair kit for £8, hopefully will sort the problem, bike shop said seals letting air by, will see how it goes :?
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Yep, they got XT on the fluid caps, I've retained the stock Rotors, 160mm I believe, don't know if they are avids or not though, and they squeal in the wet a couple of times, and then there fine. Those avids will be nowt but grief to be honest.