Boardman MX Race Minimum Tyre Width?

Northernsoul Man
Northernsoul Man Posts: 75
edited August 2015 in Commuting general
Hi To All, been off the bike for a while and just getting back on it (30 - 40km rides just to ease myself back in!!) - would be looking for advice on narrower tyres and if its worth it - just have the standard Schwalbe Tyrago 700 x 35's on the standard 4D/XR rims.
I've been trying to find any advice on smaller tyres but can't seem to locate any on the net - so need your excellent advice here - what would be the minimum tyre width for the standard rims -I'm doing mainly road miles with a very small amount of towpaths to start with.
Could I go down as narrow as 25 or 28 - if any of you have tried these widths would be much appreciated on your advice.
I know its going to be a harder ride - but its just the case if I can actually get these narrower tyres on the rims to start with.

Thanks in Advance.

Paul.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Measure the internal rim width, if its a 17mm you can go donw to a 23mm, for a 19mm I'd stop at a 25mm personally, although different brand tyres come up at a different width, a 28mm will be no problem.

Don't forget the tubes as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Ya Rookie, Thanks very much mate - when I've got a few minutes, I'll take the tyres off and Measure - but Thanks again Mate - Cheers.

Paul.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Could I go down as narrow as 25 or 28 - if any of you have tried these widths would be much appreciated on your advice.
    I know its going to be a harder ride - but its just the case if I can actually get these narrower tyres on the rims to start with.
    Overly narrow tyres are going the way of the dinosaur - even the pro peloton is on 25 more and more these days. The only real world benefit of narrow tyres is aero (when mated to the right matched rim) - and really that is for the speeds the likes of Wiggo and Martin can smash along at for hour after hour - for us mortals there is nothing in it.

Stick with the comfort - I'd say don't go below 28.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hi Daz, Thanks very much - I'm just toying with the idea at the mo - need to wear a little more off the tyres I have on at the moment - the Mx Race was settled upon after selling my Cinelli Experience (an old bike but very reliable!!) I'm an heavy rider and was struggling with the "width" of the bike and the 100 psi's - so I thought I would go for something a little more comfortable, there's a lot of canals local to me which I enjoy - so I thought the MX would be just about right for me - yes I know its on the heavy side - but at 16 stone - so am I!!
    I've been off the bike for a while and my weight has increased - so I need to ease myself in slowly and start again - the gearings very nice I can spin up the hills on the Granny ring - so I can take it slowly and just make sure I can keep at it for the foreseeable.

Thanks again for the replies Guys and ride safe.

Paul.