What are you restoring?

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited June 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
image.jpg2_zpsgvwxdlju.jpg[/url][/img]
Hi, I've just started on restoring old bikes with a view to riding l'Eroica Britannia next year on one. I'm going to start on this Peugeot, I think its a 1985 model. I'll see how I get on with this then move on to the other bike I have.

Comments

• philcubed
    image.jpg1_zpswnspkcgg.jpg[/URL][/img]
    So this is the other bike I have, it's a 1953 Raleigh Lenton Sports. Both bikes were in the bike sheds at work, the owners were happy to see them go to someone to revive them.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    I currently have my 531c Joe Waugh (owned since I bought it new in 1983) in for re-spray, will be going back together with all it's original components plus a shiny new but suitably period 'Turbo' saddle, also manged to find some NOS Dura Ace downtube shifters from Finland of all places to match my orginal Dura Ace gears (anyone want to buy some 32 year old Campag downtube shifters :-)) . Just been polishing up the Royce chain set (new Ti chain ring and crank bolts from Royce, ouch, £23 each), just deciding whether to put some shiny period bar tape or some white perforated leather? Then I think some Challenge Corsa amber or white wall tyres with latex tubes for uber smooth rolling. Will hopefully give it a wee outing at a local event;
    http://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/cycling-event/chenies-velo-classique/

Will post a pic of it when built up in due course :-)
    fay ce que voudres
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I was given this

IMG_20150411_093520_zpsanf49zqa.jpg

A light session in the nut blaster at work revealed.......a Raleigh Team Panasonic - circa 1984

IMG_20150418_120758_zpseboktzxt.jpg

Further shotblasting down to bare metal, followed by a weigh-in at 1730g means it's a 753 "Pro"

Purists will hate what comes next. I built it into a usable bike with parts I had - mis-matched wheels and 9 speed Sora, but at least it has the correct colour scheme

IMG_20150531_143535%202_zpsczuzkh7x.jpg
  • niallmo
    niallmo Posts: 103
    I do love those Raleighs. Big part of my childhood was spent looking at them in shops waiting to be big enough to ride one. Then BMX happened. The hankering for a Team Raleigh, particularly a Team Bannana has never gone away.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I do love those Raleighs. Big part of my childhood was spent looking at them in shops waiting to be big enough to ride one. Then BMX happened. The hankering for a Team Raleigh, particularly a Team Bannana has never gone away.

What are you waiting for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.Xraleigh+ba.TRS0&_nkw=raleigh+banana&_sacat=7294
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Picked this up in the local junk shop for 25 euros

IMG_20150425_182829.jpg

The previous owner had it made by a local (Grenoble) bike builder around 1978/79. It is Vitus 971 tubing.

I changed the brake cables (the extent of my restoration to date - didn't want the rusty old cables crapping out) and took it onto my local climb, the 1100 meter Col du Coq

IMG_20150426_180040.jpg

IMG_20150426_180025.jpg

IMG_20150426_162815.jpg

Climb took 1h12, hope I can so about the same on Huez when I head up there.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • niallmo

What are you waiting for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.Xraleigh+ba.TRS0&_nkw=raleigh+banana&_sacat=7294

Thanks! Already watching one of those....would love one of the more expensive ones but would have to sell some guitars....which I'm seriously considering! That's a massive step for me as I've been playing for about 30 years and love guitars almost as much as anything in the world.
  • philcubed

IMG_20150425_182829.jpg

The previous owner had it made by a local (Grenoble) bike builder around 1978/79. It is Vitus 971 tubing.

I changed the brake cables (the extent of my restoration to date - didn't want the rusty old cables crapping out) and took it onto my local climb, the 1100 meter Col du Coq

IMG_20150426_180040.jpg

IMG_20150426_180025.jpg

IMG_20150426_162815.jpg

Lovely bike and great area to ride it. I can see why you don't want the brake cables to give out!
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Just got this 70s Carlton rekitted, decals applied and up & running.

https://twitter.com/mr_gd1/status/632915052174123008
    looking into the +1
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Just got this 70s Carlton rekitted, decals applied and up & running.

https://twitter.com/mr_gd1/status/632915052174123008

Nice. I nearly bought a Carlton Professional frame back in the 70s for racing. Carlton were unable to deliver though.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Thanks davidof. The paint is honestly in need of work but I am happy to have got it up and running - it was fully seized up and useless. I repainted it myself back in the 80s - the blue with slight red trim - so now, sadly, the original green is long gone. Applying the decals really improved it though - to at least give a feel of the original look. 5 gears are inetresting - have got used to my modern rides and gear choices and this is mid-range (49 x 14/28). Back in the day I had the shifting down to a fine art (no indexing needed!) and again now it clicks in nicely.
    looking into the +1
  • That is just lovely!! Enjoy.

IMG_20150425_182829.jpg

IMG_20150426_180040.jpg

IMG_20150426_180025.jpg

IMG_20150426_162815.jpg

• I do really like those Raleighs. Big aspect of my child years was invested looking at them in stores patiently waiting to be big enough to drive one. Then BMX occurred. The hankering for a Group Durham, particularly a Group Bannana has never gone away.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I do really like those Raleighs. Big aspect of my child years was invested looking at them in stores patiently waiting to be big enough to drive one. Then BMX occurred. The hankering for a Group Durham, particularly a Group Bannana has never gone away.

Why are you copying and pasting other people's posts? Happening in a few threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Looks like a good bot. The first post is a generic 'hello I am here to learn' and every other post is copied from earlier in the same thread. Nice idea.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pinno
    Looks like a good bot. The first post is a generic 'hello I am here to learn' and every other post is copied from earlier in the same thread. Nice idea.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Danger, Will Robinson.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • /\ good post!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • niallmo
    I have this is the shed:

2225B77F-6B2E-48F7-9AFA-FF7D78AEEF6F_zpsxayrek1r.jpg

1980 Carlton Grand Prix.
    Not had chance to do anything with it since I got the Team Corsa and now I don't really have space as I'd like a Worksop built Carlton with a 531 frame. I regularly cycle through Carlton and I'd love a locally built bike.

5B050EAC-B6DC-4E54-AE1B-D589746B73F5_zpsavcevwpv.jpg

AC2B92A3-CF8F-4194-93F6-A211937BFA13_zpsa3dzza8a.jpg
  • niallmo
    Been having a dig about and it seems that my '85 Raleigh Team Corsa is the same spec as a later Carlton Kermesse. 501 tubing all round and Shimano 105 group set. Looks like I'll have to go 70's for a 531 Carlton without spending £200+ that I don't have.
  • Niallmo's Carlton interested me, I have just taken same model off my turbo trainer. Removed BB and headset, seatpin etc. I keep looking at it with half a mind to rebuild (not restore) as a fixie and half a mind to take it to the tip. Being a bit of a fixed gear nut, I have five, it's a bit of a quandary. Among my fixies I have a Pennine re della corsa, and a Viscount aerospace, original with fillet brazed joints and pushfit bb bearings, (how forward was that back in the day) however these are rebuilds and powder coated, enough to drive a restoration man mad. Before I get berated, full restoration costs these days are way beyond my poor pensioner pockets but I do get to enjoy getting these ridden on the roads.
    Nation Clarion, the club for all reasons.
  • rockypro1
    rockypro1 Posts: 2
    Hi all.
    I'm new here.

At the moment I am restoring a 1930's BSA racing tandem.
    Here is a video, see more on my youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/lrbYSBEfD8s
  • pinno
    rockypro1 wrote:
    Hi all.
    I'm new here.

At the moment I am restoring a 1930's BSA racing tandem.
    Here is a video, see more on my youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/lrbYSBEfD8s

What else would you uncover if you had a bit of a tidy?

On a serious note, the bike is furnished with non-period bits by the look of things. Are you going to source original parts?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    As has been said, not all the components look 1930s. You could either restore it with original parts, or some tastefully chosen more modern ones. That way you'd end up with a useable bike at a fraction of the cost, and with brakes that will inspire confidence on a tandem.

I'm looking forwards to seeing it back in road worthy condition.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    If it is in fact over 80 years old I think you should attack it with something less fierce :D

Maybe use nitromors, nasty substance but doesn't remove precious metal from a thin tube, only removes paint.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rockypro1
    rockypro1 Posts: 2
    Hi,

Yes a lot of the parts are missing and not original, but I'm trying to use old parts e.g from 1980's bikes etc to keep the vintage look and safe to ride. Anyways original parts would be hard to get and costly. I will put up more videos soon.
    Cheers.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Let me ask a naive question, does 30-40 year steel 'go off' ? Does it lose it's strength, after all with the thinness of the tube walls even a small decline in strength could be significant?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • pinno
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Let me ask a naive question, does 30-40 year steel 'go off' ?

Yes, it's called 'rust' :wink: