The Shit, Small Races Thread

Comments

• Great race, this. Marked a changing of the guard last year as Kristoff beat Hushovd to become the new "Top Norwegian"

Good scenery, too
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Hushovd showing he's from a different era in creased up jersey.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ZUPER-12225.jpg
    ZUPER-12346.jpg
    ZUPER-12368.jpg

Coquard:
    ZUPER-12251.jpg

v

Kristoff
    ZUPER-23551.jpg

With an appearance from Serpa:
    ZUPER-12326.jpg

Watch out for:
    ZUPER-12479.jpg

Photos by the heavyweight Kare.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ZUPER-23551.jpg

San_Andreas_poster.jpg
  • The Arctic Race throws up some great images.

Thanks for posting these, FF
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    remove
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    6 man teams. Its live on Eurosport later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deep end for Bouhanni junior ! second race as a pro after Polynormande - which out of all Cofidis riders only Bouhanni senior managed to finish
  • frenchfighter
    Stage 1 Results
    NOR 1 KRISTOFF, Alexander (KATUSHA) 4:58:26
    NOR 2 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (MTN - QHUBEKA) + 4
    IRL 3 BENNETT, Sam (BORA-ARGON 18) + 6
    ITA 4 BONIFAZIO, Niccolo (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 10
    BEL 5 VAN STAEYEN, Michael (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS)
    DEN 6 GULDHAMMER, Rasmus (CULT ENERGY PRO CYCLING)
    BEL 7 CAPIOT, Amaury (TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE)
    SUI 8 ELMIGER, Martin (IAM CYCLING)
    FRA 9 TURGIS, Anthony (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS)
    10 HOLST ENGER Sondre (IAM CYCLING)

ZUPER-23871.jpg

ZUPER-24049.jpg

ZUPER-24091-e1439492553842-610x350.jpg

Photos by Kare.

Kristoff:
    “I didn’t win the whole summer so it was about time. I’m glad I did here in the Arctic Race. Now I can relax a bit because I have a win. In a five-man team, it’s always difficult but today my guys did a great job even if we were one rider down. I was in a perfection position in the last kilometer. I was the strongest in the last climb to finish. I’m happy to pull it off. I’d rather have a stage win in the Tour de France but it’s good to be winning again. This is the first step of the preparation for the world championship. It couldn’t have been a better start of the Arctic Race of Norway. I was never leading the race last year so it’s cool to have this jersey. We’ll see how long I can keep it. Tomorrow it should be possible but stage 3 is quite hard for me. I’m pretty sure I’ll lose it on stage 3 but you never know. I was expecting to win today. Tomorrow it’ll be the sprinters again, so my rivals will be [Bryan] Coquard, MTN [Boasson Hagen], [Sam] Bennett, [Niccolo] Bonifazio, Sondre Holst Enger from IAM. There are many good sprinters here!”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    Lovely scenery again!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    20150813194_20150813CY8014.jpg

20150813224_20150813CY8019.jpg

20150813116_20150813CY8001.jpg

20150813242_GDB_5969.jpg

20150813230_20150813CY8020.jpg

20150813326_Photo%20byT%20I%20Bergsmo-ARN-8790.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    deep end for Bouhanni junior ! second race as a pro after Polynormande - which out of all Cofidis riders only Bouhanni senior managed to finish

Came in 2mins down today which is not bad considering there were dribs and drabs down to 11 mins down.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Impressive win for Sam Bennett, today.
    Easily the quickest finisher ahead of Kristoff et al.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Gaviria takes a win in the Czech tour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    'Mountain' stage yday won by Hermans off the back of his Polish form. Taraamae nearly got the win but the block header wind hurt. Meintjes was top ten on the stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    totally-my-man-next-year Latour wins the queen stage of Tour de l'Ain. Geniez takes the overall.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    Oh come on Latour, excellent. I put him on my list back when he was attacking Quintana and Contador in RdSud.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Apparently Guppy Vuillermoz wins the Olympic RR test event. And if that isn't a shit, small race I don't know what is.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Petr Vakoc wins the tour of the Czech Republic for QS who have 3 riders in the top 5
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    20150816206_20150816ARN1011.jpg
    20150816158_20150816ARN1002.jpg

Another interesting stage today with the riders coming in quite broken up. Nice to see Rein not giving up and made quite the effort and ended up taking the overall title! He went in a small group about 20km out. Very impressive.

Final General Classification
    EST 1 TAARAMAE, Rein (ASTANA) 16:42:02
    SUI 2 DILLIER, Silvan (BMC RACING) + 8
    RUS 3 ZAKARIN, Ilnur (KATUSHA) + 31
    NOR 4 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (MTN - QHUBEKA) + 1:02
    SUI 5 FRANK, Mathias (IAM CYCLING) + 1:04
    NOR 6 EIKING, Odd Christian (TEAM JOKER) + 1:17
    DEN 7 GULDHAMMER, Rasmus (CULT ENERGY PRO CYCLING) + 1:19
    FRA 8 TURGIS, Anthony (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 1:31
    BEL 9 HERMANS, Ben (BMC RACING) + 1:33
    SUI 10 WYSS, Marcel (IAM CYCLING)
    NOR 11 LAENGEN, Vegard Stake (TEAM JOKER) + 1:41
    NED 12 TOLHOEK, Antwan (TINKOFF - SAXO) + 1:42
    NOR 13 HOELGAARD, Markus (TEAM COOP-OSTER HUS) + 1:54
    BEL 14 TEUNS, Dylan (BMC RACING) + 2:07
    NOR 15 BYSTRØM, Sven Erik (KATUSHA)
    BLR 16 KOSHEVOY, Ilia (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 2:11
    EST 17 KANGERT, Tanel (ASTANA) + 2:22
    FRA 18 HIVERT, Jonathan (BRETAGNE-SECHE ENVIRONNEMENT) + 2:24
    NOR 19 GALTA, Fredrik Strand (TEAM COOP-OSTER HUS) + 2:25
    GER 20 VOSS, Paul (BORA-ARGON 18)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Sounds like BMC shenanighans, Hermans leading GC, Diller goes with Taaramae, wins the stage but the team lose the overall. Strange tactics.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apparently Guppy Vuillermoz wins the Olympic RR test event. And if that isn't a shoot, small race I don't know what is.
    Pauwels 2nd, Bardet 3rd
    Everyone saying it's a very hard parcours. 4km @ 11% average (!) plus 4 km at 6 %, every lap. https://www.strava.com/activities/369585836
    Carlo Bomans, Belgian national coach says it'll be for Contador, Froome, Nibali, Quintana or Aru next year. Early August is also perfect to carry your TdF form through. Looking forward to it already, especially with world championship parcourses being flatter the coming years
  • frenchfighter
    Thank goodness for that. Get tired of the sprinters/classics races especially given the classics men of the last few years have shown they lack cojones.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    latour_670.jpg

"Pierre is marvelous - I’ve been a directeur sportif for several years and rarely have I seen a young guy able to achieve such things in stage races," he said.

"I knew he was a very good rider but, honestly, I didn’t think that in his first year he’d be able to do what he has done. He must now learn how to channel his resources and continue his development next year in WorldTour races."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • still developing - supposed to be only 2kg heavier than Contador - not sure from that photo - but what a talent
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Sounds like BMC shenanighans, Hermans leading GC, Diller goes with Taaramae, wins the stage but the team lose the overall. Strange tactics.

It was a pretty tough finishing circuit, I think there were four laps with a 3 km climb with 10% ramps, plus another . Hermans jammed his chain mid-climb with 3 laps to go, and due to lack of radios the teams didn't realise/had an excuse to say they didn't and hammered most of the climb. As soon as he bridged back Bennett went off the front after intermediate points, so Katusha chased it for Kristoff, plus set it up for Zakurin to go for stage win. Taaramae had a teammate in the attack too for a while. Dillier rode smart, did no work until Zakurin dropped Taaramae for a spell on the climb. Once it was back together he sat on to salvage something for the day- mature stuff I'd say. Hermans went deep bridging back to the group, and then they kept pretty full gas to the end.

But yes, I think someone needs to look into BMC finances, could be a lot of Bet in Play/ Spot betting on losing races from winning positions.... Van Avermaet has been sharing his tactics
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

It was a pretty tough finishing circuit, I think there were four laps with a 3 km climb with 10% ramps, plus another . Hermans jammed his chain mid-climb with 3 laps to go, and due to lack of radios the teams didn't realise/had an excuse to say they didn't and hammered most of the climb. As soon as he bridged back Bennett went off the front after intermediate points, so Katusha chased it for Kristoff, plus set it up for Zakurin to go for stage win. Taaramae had a teammate in the attack too for a while. Dillier rode smart, did no work until Zakurin dropped Taaramae for a spell on the climb. Once it was back together he sat on to salvage something for the day- mature stuff I'd say. Hermans went deep bridging back to the group, and then they kept pretty full gas to the end.

Agreed. That's basically what I said in the Eneco thread.

Arctic race was stunning! Had the other half agreeing that a trip to Narvik should be arranged...
  • frenchfighter
    Kare
    ZUPER-14024.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Oscar Sevilla (yes, that one) won the Vuelta a Colombia for the third year running
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406

Agreed. That's basically what I said in the Eneco thread.

Arctic race was stunning! Had the other half agreeing that a trip to Narvik should be arranged...

Haha, I just noticed that. Think it was one of those results where if you didn't watch it you'd question what they were playing at.

Agreed with the scenery though, think they may have had a lucky week weather wise which helped. I've ridden near Stavanger, which is Tour des Fjords area, and that is just as nice. Google Lysebotn climb as a ride, and Priekestolen (if you watched Vikings tv series you might recognise it) and Kjeragboltn for hiking.